Wiki Actu en

March 3, 2010

Ex-Bosnian Serb leader: Alleged war crimes are myths

Ex-Bosnian Serb leader: Alleged war crimes are myths

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Crime and law
Related articles
  • 29 June 2015: Dozens dead in Mumbai after consuming toxic alcohol
  • 11 June 2015: 16-year-old girl charged with attempted murder in Melbourne, Australia
  • 30 May 2015: Non-parole period extended to 43 years for Australian rapist and murderer
  • 28 May 2015: Western Australia police close in on murder suspect, arrest warrant issued
  • 21 May 2015: Yingluck Shinawatra, former Thai prime minster, begins her trial in Bangkok over corruption allegations

Crime and law
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

File photo of Radovan Karadzic

Radovan Karadzic, the wartime ex-Bosnian Serb leader, told judges in The Hague, Netherlands earlier today that alleged atrocities of the Serbian 1992–95 war were “myths,” and denied having had any involvement.

In comments to the court, Karadzic said that murder of seven thousand Muslims in Srebrenica, as well as the siege in Sarajevo, was staged or made up in order to demean the Serbs.

Karadzic, aged 64, has been charged with eleven counts of crimes against humanity, war crimes, and genocide. He is accused of being behind the Sarajevo siege, when the city was shelled for 44 months.

The former leader described the deaths of the Sarajevo residents as being part of “cunning strategy” by Bosnian Muslims to bring in “foreign troops and foreign intervention”, saying that “they shelled their own people and killed their own people from snipers.”

“It is going to be easy from me to prove that I had nothing to do with it,” Karadzic said.

Reaction from survivors of Srebrenica was indignant, according to reports. “He should be given the Nobel Prize for lying,” remarked Sabra Kolenovic of the Mothers of Srebrenica.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

October 26, 2009

Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić boycotts genocide trial

Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić boycotts genocide trial

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, October 26, 2009

Crime and law
Related articles
  • 29 June 2015: Dozens dead in Mumbai after consuming toxic alcohol
  • 11 June 2015: 16-year-old girl charged with attempted murder in Melbourne, Australia
  • 30 May 2015: Non-parole period extended to 43 years for Australian rapist and murderer
  • 28 May 2015: Western Australia police close in on murder suspect, arrest warrant issued
  • 21 May 2015: Yingluck Shinawatra, former Thai prime minster, begins her trial in Bangkok over corruption allegations

Crime and law
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Radovan Karadžić in 1994

The genocide trial of former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić began today at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague.

Karadžić faces 11 charges, including genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity, which relate to the Bosnian War of the 1990s. He denies all of the charges.

Now 64, Karadžić had been in hiding for 13 years before being taken to The Hague for trial, which opened 14 years after the events to which it refers, and is expected to last until 2012. Karadžić announced on Thursday that he did not intend to attend the opening day, and it began without his presence. As he plans to defend himself, the trial could not continue.

Karadžić says he needs more time to prepare, and the trial has been adjourned until tomorrow to allow the judges to consider their options. If Karadžić fails to attend repeatedly, a defence lawyer may be assigned to him in order to allow the trial to continue in his absence.

The start date has been delayed twice, and a request by Karadžić for a further 10-month delay was rejected. He has also attempted to request that the charges be dropped on the grounds that former US mediator Richard Holbrooke offered him immunity in 1996 if he retired from public life. The court rejected this appeal.


Related news

Sources

Wikipedia
Wikipedia has more about this subject:
Radovan Karadžić
Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

July 22, 2008

Alleged war criminal Radovan Karadžić caught in Serbia

Alleged war criminal Radovan Karadžić caught in Serbia

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Radovan Karadžić

Alleged war criminal Radovan Karadžić was caught yesterday in Serbia by Serbian security forces after almost 13 years on the run from authorities.

Last night he was questioned by an inquisitor of the War Crimes Court in Belgrade.

Karadžić has been accused by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity during the Bosnian War from 1992 to 1995. The Srebrenica massacre, in which about 8,000 Muslims were killed, is among the most serious of his alleged crimes. The massacre was categorised as genocide by both the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

Internationally, the arrest was unanimously welcomed. Along with former military chief Ratko Mladić, Karadžić has been one of the most sought-after war criminals of the Balkan conflict.

Described by the BBC’s Kate Adie as a “smart, rather vain man”, his capture found him with a long white beard working in a clinic and practicing alternative medicine under the name Dragan Dabic.



Sources

Wikipedia
Wikipedia has more about this subject:
Radovan Karadžić


Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

January 30, 2006

Bosnian administrator outlines plans

Bosnian administrator outlines plans – Wikinews, the free news source

Bosnian administrator outlines plans

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, January 30, 2006

Bosnia’s new international administrator has taken office after being selected by the European Union’s foreign ministers. Christian Schwarz-Schilling, a German diplomat, said he hoped he would not require full use of his extensive powers and that the Bosnian authorities would take on the burden of building the country’s future.

Mr Schwarz-Schilling told the press that he intended to scale back the overarching powers of his office and allow existing Bosnian political institutions to take control. He said he wanted “to bring the population to the point of taking real ownership of their institutions and not relying on the high representative as a governor to do this job.” Although he refused to comment on the performance of the more assertive departing governor Lord Ashdown, he did complain of “a top-down approach. It is important than I have done ten years of bottom-up work as a mediator. I am a bottom-up person.”

Lord Ashdown said in an interview today that, while proud of his achievements in Bosnia, he profoundly regrets that the notorious war criminals Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic are yet to be arrested.


Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

July 11, 2005

Remembering Srebrenice massacre

Remembering Srebrenice massacre – Wikinews, the free news source

Remembering Srebrenice massacre

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, July 11, 2005

Tens of thousands of people gathered in Srebrenica today to remember the massacre of over 8,000 Muslims, mostly men and boys, which happened on 11th July 1995. This is considered the worst atrocity in Europe since the end of World War II.

610 victims of the massacres were buried today after their bodies were recovered from multiple mass graves. 1,300 bodies have been identified with DNA testing but 4,500 body bags of human remain still need to be identified

Serbian president Boris Tadic attended the memorial and paid his tribute to the victims by bowing before their coffins. Tadic’s attendance caused outrage among Serbian hardliners but has been applauded by the international community.

French, Dutch and UK ministers were also present, as well as former US Balkan envoy Richard Holbrook. UK foreign secretary Jack Straw apologized on behalf of the world community stating that it is “the shame of the international community that this evil took place under our noses and we did nothing about it“. He also called it “sickening” that Radovan Karadzic and General Ratko Mladic, the men accused of overseeing the massacre, have not yet been captured and brought to justice.

Security was tight after two bombs were found in the area last week. More than 1,500 policemen are patrolling the area.

Sources

  • Christopher James. “War propaganda?” — Morning Star, July 11, 2005
Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

May 17, 2005

Tense panel discussion on Srebrenica held in Belgrade

Filed under: Archived,Europe,Politics and conflicts,Radovan Karadžić — admin @ 5:00 am

Tense panel discussion on Srebrenica held in Belgrade

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Flag of Serbia

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A panel discussion titled “Truth about Srebrenica” held at the law school at the University of Belgrade yesterday almost turned into a physical fight between panel participants and several dozen protesters.

The panel was organized by a nationalist student organization Nomokanon to mark what they consider, according to their promotional posters, “the anniversary of the liberation of Srebrenica.” According to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), Bosnian Serb forces murdered more than 7,000 Bosniaks in 1995 in Srebrenica, during the war in Bosnia.

General Radislav Krstić was convicted for his involvement and sentenced to serve 46 years in prison. Two other suspects, Radovan Karadžić and Ratko Mladić are still on the run.

Protesters included activists of political parties Civic Alliance of Serbia, G17+ and Social Democrat Union as well as Non-Governmental Organization (NGOs) Women in Black, Kapiraj-Kopiraj and Youth Initiative. Their activity delayed the start for half an hour. Organizations which protested this forum claim that Serbia should face its involvement in Bosnia and should not deny allegations of crimes committed by Serbian forces.

Many of the participants were wearing t-shirts with pictures of Radovan Karadžić followed by text “Serbian hero.” Some wore t-shirts of the Serbian nationalist organization Obraz.

The panel began at 19:30 local time, but the first ten minutes passed in a verbal fight between protestors and participants. Protesters were booing, and participants responded by calling them Ustashe, faggots, Soros’ workers, and traitors. Most protesters then left the room.

According to B92, one young man who protested said that security was “very unpleasant”. He was quoted as saying: “[Security] told us things like: ‘What’s up, Croats’ and ‘Faggots, we will beat you up now.'”

Four speakers took part in the panel:

  • Milivoje Ivanišević, the president of the Center for Research of Crimes Against Serbs
  • Radovan Radinović, a retired army general
  • Dragoslav Ognjanović, Milošević’s attorney
  • And journalist Ljiljana Bulatović.

Participants said that there was no genocide in Srebrenica but that only Muslim soldiers were killed, which was misrepresented to the public to bring international military action against Serbs. One participant said that only 2,500 people were killed, and that only 500 of them could have been shot in a fusillade, since there were only so many blindfolds found next to bodies.

One of the speakers congratulated Nomokanon for talking about “the truth, so nobody can force us to be ashamed of what deserves our respect.”

University of Belgrade’s Faculty of Law postponed the panel once and did not officially endorse it.

Sources

External links


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress