Wiki Actu en

January 8, 2010

Moroccan court sentences fourteen to jail on terror charges

Moroccan court sentences fourteen to jail on terror charges

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Friday, January 8, 2010

Morocco
Other stories from Morocco
…More articles here
Location of Morocco

A map showing the location of Morocco

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Morocco, see the Morocco Portal
Flag of Morocco.svg

Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer region
Image: Darwinek.

A court in Salé sentenced fourteen members of Fath Al Andalous (Conquest of Andalusia) to jail yesterday for planning attacks against targets in Morocco. The radical group reportedly associates itself with expulsion of Muslims from the Andalusia region of Spain during the fifteenth century.

According to state agency Maghreb Arab Press (MAP), the court sentenced leader Rachid Zerbani to fifteen years in prison and fined him 500,000 dirhams (€44,175), and the remaining thirteen to four to ten years for “setting up a criminal gang to plot and carry out terror acts aimed at disturbing public order through intimidation and violence, financing terrorism, manufacturing and possessing explosives, undermining the sacred values, and holding unauthorized public meetings.”

The group, which according to MAP had links with similar organisations in Algeria, Mauritania, France, Spain, and countries in the Middle East, had plotted to attack tourist locations in Agadir as well as a military barracks in Laayoune, the principal city in the Western Sahara region. According to the police, the members had obtained electronics and chemicals used in bombs.

Since the 2003 Casablanca bombings, in which 45 people died, the country has broken up over sixty similar groups, with more than 2,000 tried and jailed.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

January 30, 2009

Failed suicide bomber imprisoned for life

Failed suicide bomber imprisoned for life

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Friday, January 30, 2009

The Old Bailey in London
Image: Nevilley.

A court in London has sentenced a would-be suicide bomber to life imprisonment.

Nicky Reilly, 22, a Muslim convert with learning difficulties and Asperger syndrome, took the components for three bombs – glass bottles containing nails, caustic soda and kerosene – to the Giraffe restaurant in Exeter, south west England, in May 2008. One bottle exploded as Reilly attempted to assemble the device in the restaurant’s toilets, causing him facial and hand injuries. He was arrested outside the establishment.

Reilly entered a plea of guilty to attempted murder and engaging in preparation for terrorism when he appeared in court last year. The judge at the Central Criminal Court in London (known as the Old Bailey), Mr Justice Calvert-Smith, told him he would serve a minimum of 18 years, saying that it was “sheer luck or chance that [it] did not succeed in its objectives” and that “[t]he offence of attempted murder is aggravated by the fact that it was long-planned, that it had multiple intended victims and was intended to terrorise the population of this country”.

Reilly, also known as Mohammad Rashid Saeed Alim, was recruited via an online forum. He is believed to have a mental age of 10 and Devon and Cornwall Police said he had been “preyed on, radicalised and taken advantage of” by the members of the forum.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

July 29, 2008

Court sentences eight to death in Sudan over Omdurman rebel attack

Court sentences eight to death in Sudan over Omdurman rebel attack

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sudan
Other stories from Sudan
  • 15 September 2014: Libya accuse Qatar of intervening on side of rebels
  • 7 September 2014: Libya accuse Sudan of arming ‘terrorist group’
  • 22 December 2013: Rebels take over South Sudan oil regions
  • 9 March 2012: Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton present 2012 International Women of Courage Awards
  • 29 August 2011: Sudanese President releases all detained journalists
…More articles here
Location of Sudan

A map showing the location of Sudan

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Sudan, see the Sudan Portal
Flag of Sudan.svg

In Sudan, Judge Muntasim Mohamed Saleh sentenced eight men from the rebel group Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) to death and found another not guilty. A 16-year-old defendant was referred a special juvenile court. The accused were being tried under counter-terrorism legislation over the 2008 attack on Omdurman and Khartoum.

“I find you guilty under the Sudanese counter-terrorism law, chapter five and six, and Sudanese criminal law, chapter 130, I sentence you to be hanged to death,” Saleh told the eight men who stood in silence in the dock as the verdict was read out.

Defence lawyers said that these special courts are unconstitutional and do not guarantee their clients’ legal rights. “It is against Sudanese constitutional law because Sudanese constitutional law gives the citizen the right to be tried in the normal way. The defence team will appeal the decision of the court,” said Kamal Omar—one of the defence lawyers—to Agence France-Presse. Under Sudanese law, all death sentences are ratified by an appeal court and the high court. They are then sent to the Sudanese president to be signed.

Four Sudanese courts were held in Khartoum, Khartoum North and Omdurman to try dozens of suspects rounded up after the May 10 attack, which marked the first time decades of regional conflict reached the capital. More than 222 people were killed during this incident when rebels drove hundreds of kilometres from western Sudan’s region of Darfur to Omdurman, just across the Nile from the presidential palace.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

October 31, 2007

Judge delivers verdicts in 2004 Madrid train bombing trial

Judge delivers verdicts in 2004 Madrid train bombing trial

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Plaque at the city hall in memory of the casualties in the 11-M terror attack in Madrid
Image: Miguel A. Monjas.

The Audiencia Nacional of Spain (National Court of Spain) has found 21 of 28 defendants guilty in connection with the 2004 Madrid train bombings.

The defendants were facing charges including murder, forgery and conspiracy to commit a terrorist attack. 27 of them are men and one is a woman. 19 are mostly Moroccan Arabs and nine Spaniards.

Chief Judge Javier Gomez Bermudez read the verdicts which came after three months of deliberations.

Jamal Zougam, Otman el Ghanoui and Emilio Trashorras were found guilty of murder. The three were given sentences of 42,924 years in prison, although the most one can serve in Spain is 40 years. As far as the other guilty verdicts, no one was given more than 23 years for their part in the crime.

Cquote1.svg I’m not a judge or a lawyer but this is shameful, outrageous Cquote2.svg

—Isabel Presa, mother of a victim

Rabei Osman Sayed Ahmed, aka “Mohamed the Egyptian”, was acquitted although he is serving a ten-year sentence in Italy on other terrorism charges. Jose Maria de Pablos, spokesman for a victims’ association, said: “We’re very surprised by the acquittal. If it wasn’t them, we have to find out who it was. Somebody gave the order.”

“I’m not a judge or a lawyer but this is shameful, outrageous,” said Isabel Presa, who lost her youngest son in one of the explosions. She told journalists of her outrage at what she thought were lenient sentences.

The 2004 Madrid train bombings (also known in Spain as 11-M) consisted of a series of coordinated bombings against the Cercanías (commuter train) system of Madrid, Spain on the morning of March 11, 2004, killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.



Related news

Sources

Wikipedia
Wikipedia has more about this subject:
2004 Madrid train bombings
Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

September 13, 2007

American-born terrorist gets 24 years

American-born terrorist gets 24 years – Wikinews, the free news source

American-born terrorist gets 24 years

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hamid Hayat, an American citizen who recently turned 25, was sentenced Monday to 24 years in a federal prison. Hayat was convicted in April, 2006 of providing material support to terrorists and lying to FBI agents about it.

The California man was intending to attack hospitals, banks, grocery stores and government buildings in California according to prosecutors.

Following the conviction and sentencing, the U.S. Attorney’s office filed to oppose a request by defense attorneys to have Hayat serve his sentence in one of two federal penitentiaries in California to serve out his 24-year sentence.

According to the Stockton Record, Defense attorneys Dennis Riordan and Wazhma Mojaddidi made a request September 11 that U.S. District Court Judge Garland E. Burrell Jr. recommend the 25-year-old Hayat serve his term in either Atwater (north of Merced) or Victorville (in the Mojave Desert) federal prisons.

In a position statement issued by the U.S. Attorney’s office September 12, the prosecution said the Bureau of Prisons, not defense counsel, “should weigh the “unique issues” of the case and decide which federal penitentiary a convicted terrorist serve his term.” The U.S. Attorney’s office did not mention other prisons to be considered for Hayat’s incarceration.

The F.B.I. said in a statement that Hayat attended an al-Qaeda training camp in Pakistan between October 2003 and November 2004, and later returned to the United States.

Federal Judge Garland Burrell Jr. was quoted saying “[Hayat was] willing to wage violent jihad when directed to do so”. He was first arrested in June 2005 after an investigation into the Pakistani community in Lodi.

Source

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

August 16, 2007

Jose Padilla found guilty of supporting terrorism

Jose Padilla found guilty of supporting terrorism

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Jose Padilla, who is a former Chicago gang member, was found by jury to be guilty of supporting Islamic terrorist groups abroad.

The co-defendants, Adham Hassoun and Kifan Jayyousi, were also found guilty on conspiracy to murder, kidnap, and maim people in a foreign country; conspiracy to provide material support for terrorists; and providing material support for terrorists.

All three defendants face life in prison. The sentencing is on December 5.

The Attorney General Alberto Gonzales issued a statement saying “The conviction of Jose Padilla — an American who provided material support to terrorists and trained for violent jihad — is a significant victory in our efforts to fight the threat posed by terrorists and their supporters.”

Attorneys for the defendants claimed they will appeal the decision.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

March 27, 2007

Guantanamo detainee David Hicks pleads guilty to providing \”material support\”

Guantanamo detainee David Hicks pleads guilty to providing “material support”

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Al-Qaeda
Other Al-Qaeda stories
  • 21 March 2015: Suicide bombers attack mosques in Sanaa, Yemen
  • 7 January 2015: Twelve dead in shooting at offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo
  • 10 December 2014: Senate publish report on CIA torture and misinformation
  • 15 June 2014: Abbott open to possible Australian assistance in Iraq
  • 2 June 2013: Second man charged in Lee Rigby murder case
  • 19 May 2013: White House releases Benghazi emails
Attacks attributed to Al-Qaeda
RecentAlQaedaAttacks.svg
External and Inter-wiki links
  • Wikipedia article about Al-Qaeda

David Hicks of Australia who has been detained by the United States since 2001, pleaded guilty on Monday to charges of providing material support to terrorist organizations.

Hicks answered “yes, sir,” when the judge, Marine Colonel Kohlmann, asked if “guilty” was in fact his plea. The plea appears to be the result of an agreement between prosecutors and defense attorneys. Under a long-standing agreement, Hicks will be able to serve his sentence in Australia.

Hicks is the first detainee to face prosecution at the U.S. Guantanamo Bay naval base in Cuba under revised military tribunal laws. He was accused of attending al-Qaeda training camps and briefly fighting alongside the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Related

  • “US charges Australian David Hicks” — Wikinews, March 26, 2007

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

May 4, 2006

Zacarias Moussaoui to serve life in prison

Zacarias Moussaoui to serve life in prison

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, May 4, 2006

Zacarias Moussaoui.

U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema has agreed to a federal jury’s recommendation that Zacarias Moussaoui, convicted for conspiring with al-Qaeda in the September 11 attacks, spend life in prison. He will serve his life term in a federal maximum security prison, in Florence, Colorado.

“God curse America. God save Osama bin Laden. You’ll never get him,” said Moussaoui moments before Judge Brinkema read her sentence.

Brinkema responded, “You came here to be a martyr and die in a big bang of glory. But to paraphrase the poet T.S. Eliot, instead you will die with a whimper.”

The jury, which consisted of three women and nine men, announced their verdict after one week of deliberation and a trial that lasted only six weeks.

“America, you lost! I won!,” said Moussaoui after the verdict was read.

At least three jurors came to a conclusion that Moussaoui did not know enough about the attacks, three said that his role in the attacks were minor, three said that as a child, Moussaoui suffered from racism, nine said that his father abused him, and the other jurors said that the “dysfunctional family” forced him to leave his home.

This verdict “represents the end of this case but not an end to the fight against terror,” said U.S. President George W. Bush. “Mr. Moussaoui got a fair trial. The jury convicted him to life in prison, where he will spend the rest of his life. In so doing, they spared his life, which is something that he evidently was not willing to do for innocent American citizens. It is really important for the United States to stay on the offence against these killers and bring them to justice.”

Carie Lemack, the daughter of a September 11 victim, said “there’s absolutely nothing in this country that all 9/11 family members are going to agree upon except that the attacks should never happen again, and I respect everyone’s opinion. I think what’s important is that we make sure Moussaoui will not get what he wants, which is to become a martyr and go down in history being someone bigger than he was. I’m glad that the jury looked at the evidence and realized he’s just an al-Qaeda wannabe.”

When Moussaoui spoke he said; “I have seen an amount of hypocrisy beyond any belief, your humanity is very selective humanity…You have branded me as a terrorist or a criminal …you should look at yourselves first …I am a mujahid and you think you own the world, and you must admit you are wrong.”

He described the trial as a “wasted opportunity for this country to understand and to learn why people like me and people like Mohamed Atta and the rest have so much hatred for you. You don’t want to hear, America. You will feel. We will come back another day,” he declared.

Icon of loudspeaker
This audio file was created from the text revision dated 2006-05-05 and may not reflect subsequent text edits to this report. (audio help)
Audio Wikinews

Related news

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress