Wiki Actu en

August 7, 2013

Deaflympics 2013: US swimmer breaks second world record

Deaflympics 2013: US swimmer breaks second world record

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search
Wikinews Sports
Sports icon.png
Other sports stories

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

File photo of an Olympic-size swimming pool.
Image: Cortomaltais.

Swimmer Matthew Klotz of the United States has broken his second backstroke world record in Sofia, Bulgaria during the 2013 Deaflympics.

The high school senior had previously in the 2013 Deaflympics broken the 100 metre backstroke record, continuing his streak by breaking the record for the same stroke in the 200 metre event. The latter record, previously held by South Africa, Klotz broke twice, in both the preliminaries and the finals, with his final time of 2:07.43 breaking the original record by over a second. Klotz also set a record leadoff time in the 4 X 100 medley relay.

“It was pretty exciting because I kept getting faster and faster”, said Klotz after his first record-breaking event, in a media release. “It was a close race — two Japanese swimmers finished right behind me”. Klotz also took home bronze in the 400 metre individual medley, came fourth in the 400 metre freestyle, fifth in the 50 metre backstroke, and eighth in the 200 metre freestyle.

The 17-year-old was to fly home to Cameron Park, California on Monday. He holds seven US swimming records.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

February 12, 2012

Anti-ACTA activists protest across Europe

Anti-ACTA activists protest across Europe

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Internet
Related stories
  • Supreme Court of Sweden agrees to try Bildkonst Upphovsrätt i Sverige versus Wikimedia Sverige
  • Wikinews interviews Asaf Bartov, Head of Wikimedia Grants Program and Global South Partnerships
  • Google shuts down Google News Spain
  • Wikinews interviews Mario J. Lucero and Isabel Ruiz of Heaven Sent Gaming
  • Parts of internet break as ‘512k day’ reached by routers

Graphical map of the Internet
More information at Wikipedia:
  • Internet portal
  • Internet
  • History of the Internet
  • Internet censorship
  • Internet Protocol
  • World Wide Web

Anti-ACTA protestors on the steps of Trafalgar Square outside the National Gallery in London.
Image: Tom Morris.

Guy Fawkes masks were on display in cities across Europe yesterday as part of a protest against the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), an international trade agreement on copyright and intellectual property that opponents believe will limit free speech online.

Organisers of the protest said about 100,000 people turned up in German cities such as Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, and Hanover. In Berlin, police estimated 6,500 protestors. Protests also took place in Paris, Sofia in Bulgaria, Vilnius in Lithuania, Valetta in Malta, Tallinn in Estonia, and Edinburgh and Glasgow in Scotland. In London, about 200 people protested outside some major copyright holders’ offices. Last month, there were major protests in Poland when that country signed ACTA, which has led to the Polish government deciding not to ratify the agreement, for now. Latvia and Slovakia have both delayed the process of joining ACTA.

Jim Killock from the Open Rights Group, a UK digital civil liberties campaigning group, said ACTA was “undemocratic”, “lacked scrutiny”, and was “setting up dangerous new pressures to censor the internet”.

The United Kingdom have signed ACTA, along with 21 other EU countries. Germany and the Czech Republic have held out on agreeing to it, awaiting a debate on the matter in the European Parliament in June. Baroness Wilcox, the Parliamentary Under-Secretary for the UK’s Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, claims signing the treaty was important to help bring about “common enforcement standards and more effective international cooperation” in intellectual property law.



Related news

  • “Wikinews Shorts: January 28, 2012#EU official resigns over anti-piracy treaty” — Wikinews, January 28, 2012

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

May 13, 2010

India\’s Anand defends chess world championship title against Bulgarian challenger Topalov

India’s Anand defends chess world championship title against Bulgarian challenger Topalov

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Viswanathan Anand

Veselin Topalov

Viswanathan Anand, a chess grandmaster from India, has retained the world championship title after a match with Bulgarian challenger Veselin Topalov.

The match, consisting of a dozen games, was played in the Bulgarian capital Sofia over the last twenty days. Anand received the first-place prize of 1.2 million euro, whilst Topalov took 800,000 euro. The awards ceremony was attended yesterday by the Bulgarian prime minister, Boyko Borisov, and the international chess federation FIDE’s president Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.

Going into the last game, both sides had two wins apiece, and seven draws. However, the Bulgarian’s manager, Silvio Danailov, told the Dnevnik that Topalov played the last game “rather nervously”, saying: “A draw would have been a good result for him but he made a few mistakes and the Indian exploited them.

“We should concentrate on the positive sides of the match. This was a historic match for Bulgaria. The country was in the spotlight for millions of people worldwide who love the game. We should be happy and proud that we organised this event.”



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

February 22, 2009

Bulgarian chess grandmaster attempts to break chess record

Filed under: Archived,Bulgaria,Chess,Europe,Games,Sofia,Wackynews — admin @ 5:00 am

Bulgarian chess grandmaster attempts to break chess record

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search


Bookmark-new.svg

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bulgaria
Other stories from Bulgaria
…More articles here
Location of Bulgaria

A map showing the location of Bulgaria

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Bulgaria, see the Bulgaria Portal
Flag of Bulgaria.svg

Kiril Georgiev at the EuroChess Iraklion in 2007

Kiril Georgiev, a Bulgarian chess grandmaster, began playing 360 simultaneous games of chess on Saturday, in an attempt to break the world record for the most games played simultaneously. The games are being hosted at the Inter Expo Centre in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria.

The current record for the largest number of simultaneous games belongs to the Hungarian-American grandmaster Susan Polgar, who played 326 games in 2005, losing three games, drawing fourteen, and winning the other 309.

To beat that record, Georgiev must win at least four-fifths of his games.

According to the Bulgarian News Network, Georgiev is a former under-18 world champion, and won the Bulgarian national championship three times.



Sources


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

July 3, 2008

Military storehouse explodes near Sofia

Military storehouse explodes near Sofia – Wikinews, the free news source

Military storehouse explodes near Sofia

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Bulgaria
Other stories from Bulgaria
…More articles here
Location of Bulgaria

A map showing the location of Bulgaria

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Bulgaria, see the Bulgaria Portal
Flag of Bulgaria.svg

Explosions in a military storehouse woke up the Bulgarian capital city of Sofia around 6:30 AM EST. Police, ambulances and Civil defense arrived at the scene.

According to general Zlatan Stoikov, speaking for the Bulgarian National Radio, the military base in Chelopechene is currently inaccessible and under closing down. “There are 1494 tons of explosives stored in the Chelopechane base”, said the Minister of Defence Nikolai Tsonev, according to “Focus” Agency. The restricted area is 2 square kilometers. In the moment of the first explosion there were two guards in the storehouses, who didn’t note anything moving. A radius of 6 kilometres is inspected for shrapnel.

Some was noticed near the Kvebek approach to the Sofia Airport, said the Minister of Transport Petar Mutafchiev. The part was 4-5 cm and it is removed. Some of the flights to Sofia were redirected to Plovdiv and passengers were transported to Sofia by buses. After being inspected by internal specialists and group from the Ministry of Transport, the Sofia airport is working again.

Many windows were broken by the explosion, even in some parts of Sofia. The mayor of Sofia, Boiko Borisov, said that many citizens called the municipality to find out what has happened. 1,438 calls to the emergency services number were received between 6:30 and 6:45, the Minister of Emergencies Emel Etem reported to the national legislature, according to “Focus” agency. The people that called it in didn’t know the exact location of the explosion. The explosion was heard at 6:28; the first call was at 6:30. The police arrived in 5 minutes and all other services in 10.

A detachment from the 38th Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Protection Regiment – Musachevo was sent to the scene. There were rumours about toxic gases and even radiation, but they were denied by the chemical squad, arrived at the scene.

The cause of the explosions is currently unknown and is under investigation. The investigators will wait at least 24 hours before approaching the scene.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

July 24, 2007

Libya frees foreign HIV medics

Libya frees foreign HIV medics – Wikinews, the free news source

Libya frees foreign HIV medics

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Libya
Other stories from Libya
…More articles here
Location of Libya

A map showing the location of Libya

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Libya, see the Libya Portal
Flag of Libya

“Freedom for the Bulgarian Nurses” symbol.
Image: www.nestesami.bg.

Libya has freed six foreign medical personnel who were convicted of infecting hundreds of Libyan children with HIV and sentenced to death. In jail since 1999, the five Bulgarian nurses and one Palestinian doctor arrived in Sofia, Bulgaria, today. The president of Bulgaria, Georgi Parvanov, promptly pardoned them.

All six have maintained their innocence throughout. They have also claimed that they suffered torture to extract confessions. International HIV experts testified at the trials that the infections began before the six arrived at the Benghazi hospital. They said the infections were more likely the result of poor hygiene.

Last week, Libya lifted the death sentences following a US$460 million financial settlement, which works out to US$1 million to each HIV victim’s family. However, Libya insisted on further concessions on relations with the European Union and aid.

A deal between the E.U. and Libya, mediated by Qatar, ended the diplomatic standoff. The foreign minister of Libya, Abdel Rahman Shalgham, said the E.U. promised to provide “life-long treatment” to the infected children, as well as aid to “improve the Benghazi hospital” where the children were infected. Further, he claimed that deal will allow for “full cooperation and partnership between Libya and the European Union.”

“We hope to go on further [in] normalising our relations with Libya. Our relations with Libya were to a large extent blocked by the non-settlement of this medics issue,” said José Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission.

The president of France, Nicolas Sarkozy, said that neither the E.U. nor France paid money to Libya. He also said he would visit Libya on Wednesday to help Tripoli‘s reintegration. “I can quite simply confirm to you that neither Europe nor France have made the slightest financial contribution to Libya,” said Sarkozy to reporters in Paris. “I have had the opportunity to thank the Qatari authorities very warmly for their mediation and their humanitarian intervention.”

Benita Ferrero-Waldner, the European Commissioner for External Relations, said: “I share the joy of their families and friends and of the government and people of Bulgaria. For over eight years, we have never forgotten the suffering of the medical staff who have shown such dignity and fortitude during their long ordeal.”

“Now I still can’t believe that I am standing on Bulgarian soil. We were told the news at four o’clock in the morning and we left the jail at quarter to six to board the plane. Now I will try to get my previous life back,” said Kristiyana Vulcheva, 48, upon her release at the airport.


Related news

  • “Libya lifts death sentences for nurses but makes demands” — Wikinews, July 23, 2007
  • “Libyan court upholds death sentence for foreign medics in HIV case” — Wikinews, July 11, 2007

Sources

Wikipedia
Wikipedia has more about this subject:
HIV trial in Libya
Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

April 21, 2006

Condoleezza Rice will visit Greece and Turkey

Condoleezza Rice will visit Greece and Turkey

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Friday, April 21, 2006

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will visit Athens and Ankara during next week by the opportunity of her participation in the NATO Foreign Ministers meeting in Sofia, Bulgaria. The State Department announced that the head of US diplomacy will meet with Greek Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis and Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyannis as well as with the Turkish prime minister, Rejep Tayip Erdogan.

In the two Mediterranean countries, Rice will have the opportunity to discuss the mutual interests between the USA and its strategic allies, Greece and Turkey. The promotion of democracy and peace in the Middle East, the Cyprus issue, the possibility of Turkey’s accession in the European Union, and war against terrorism in North Eastern Europe and Asia will likely be discussed.

Icon of loudspeaker
This audio file was created from the text revision dated 2006-04-23 and may not reflect subsequent text edits to this report. (audio help)
Audio Wikinews

Sources



Bookmark-new.svg

This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress