Wiki Actu en

January 5, 2006

VP Cheney role surfaces in U.S. domestic spying

VP Cheney role surfaces in U.S. domestic spying

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

United States Vice President Dick Cheney, in a speech to the Heritage Foundation on Wednesday, admitted to a key role in the domestic spying program. In a ringing defense of the warrantless eavesdropping authorized by President Bush, Cheney said he had “personally presided” over most briefings of selected Capitol Hill lawmakers about the program, which was begun in response to the 9/11 attacks and after Congress passed a September 2001 resolution authorizing the use of force to combat terrorism.

The National Security Agency (NSA) has been monitoring certain domestic telephone calls and emails, under the condition that the other end of the message is to or from a foreign location, the White House has admitted. In addition, the New York Times has reported that the agency has been conducting a widespread data-mining operation of such messages, hoping to identify patterns that might tip off the U.S. government to terrorist operations. Bush quickly backed up the decision by Michael Hayden, then NSA chief and now deputy national intelligence director, repeatedly authorizing the NSA to conduct warrantless searches, according to published reports.

Cheney vigorously defended the program, arguing that it could have prevented the 9/11 attacks, though a Washington Post report of his speech notes flaws in his reasoning. Cheney avoided mention of words such as “warrantless” and gave no explanation of why the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act court, which normally issues national security warrants, needed to be bypassed. He asserted however that “the civil liberties of the American people are unimpeded” by the “wartime measure.”

Cheney may face pressure by some in Congress, such as Republican Senator Arlen Specter, who has pledged to investigate the eavesdropping program, to testify on Capitol Hill, though Cheney is known to be a major proponent of executive privilege and may well resist. The vice president, anticipating a “spirited debate” on the necessity of the program, said the leak of “highly classified” data to the NYTimes had been a “clear detriment to our national security.”

The Justice Department launched a probe last week to seek the source of leaked information about the secretive program. No report has emerged that the Justice Department is making a formal inquiry into possible illegalities that might have occurred on the part of the NSA or White House. Many in Congress are interested in this point, as some see this surveillance of U.S. citizens as a violation of their Fourth Amendment right guarding against unreasonable searches.

The Justice Department head and former White House counsel, Alberto Gonzales, has defended the NSA program as legal and constitutional.

Sources

  • Evan Thomas and Daniel Klaidman. “Full Speed Ahead” — Newsweek, January 9, 2006 issue
Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Turkish teenager dies from bird flu

Turkish teenager dies from bird flu – Wikinews, the free news source

Turkish teenager dies from bird flu

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

A 14 year old Turkish male has died from bird flu in Turkey. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), it is most likely the teenager died from the deadly H5N1 strain of the virus.

The teenager’s sister has also been infected with another sibling also suspected to have the virus. Eight other people, mostly from the same family have been hospitalized in the city of Van, Turkey with flu-like symptoms.

The children were from Dogu Beyazit, a farming town in eastern Turkey. It is believed that the children raised poultry on a small farm and may have been in contact with sick birds. The family also ate diseased poultry.

The young male was originally thought to have died from a pnuemonia related infection. Later tests revealed that the male had in fact died from bird flu.

According to Huseyin Avni Sahin, the head doctor of the hospital in Van where the teenager was treated, “(The boy) died of the H5N1 strain of bird flu”. Turkish Health Minister Recep Akdag gave no specific details and said samples had been sent to the WHO and Britain for more tests.

If the teenager is confirmed to have had H5N1, it would be the first death from H5N1 in Europe.

Huseyin Avni Sahin has requested more ventilators to treat the ill people.

While H5N1 remains difficult for humans to contract, authorities fear it may mutate into a form that is passable among humans. Such a mutation could kill millions of people around the globe.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Microsoft releases emergency patch for WMF exploit

Filed under: Archived,Computing,Internet,Microsoft — admin @ 5:00 am

Microsoft releases emergency patch for WMF exploit

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

Today’s Wikinews
July 9

Collaborate!
  • Newsroom
  • Style Guide – how to write
  • Content Guide – what to write

Breaking with the scheduled Patch Tuesday cycle of bugfix releases, Microsoft has released an emergency patch to correct the Windows Metafile vulnerability that allows a remote compromise of a computer.

Microsoft has made available patches for all currently supported versions of their Windows operating system. However, the Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition versions have not – at this time – had patches issued for this vulnerability. According to Microsoft, these versions contain the vulnerable software component but, “the vulnerability is not critical because an exploitable attack vector has not been identified that would yield a Critical severity rating for these versions.”

Current versions of Windows, including Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, depending on configuration, may prompt users to download or install this update automatically for those computers currently connected to the Internet. This is the preferred method of protecting your computer from this vulnerability.

Other users are advised to visit Microsoft Windows Update to obtain this security patch, if they are unable to obtain the patch or are unsure whether they have it.

Previous methods of protection included unregistering shimgvw.dll to disable handling of Windows MetaFiles, as per Microsoft’s security advisory. Since it does not correct the underlying problem, it is unlikely that this method is recommended any longer.

Other methods included Ilfak Guilfanov’s unofficial patch, which was not advised by Microsoft, but served as a measure to mitigate the immediate effects until an official patch was released. Guilfanov has now noted that the patch is no longer needed.

Related news

Links

References

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Deaths on South African roads at 1215 for December 2005

Filed under: Archived,South Africa,Transport — admin @ 5:00 am

Deaths on South African roads at 1215 for December 2005

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

Today’s Wikinews
July 9

Collaborate!
  • Newsroom
  • Style Guide – how to write
  • Content Guide – what to write

According to the South African government’s Department of Transport, the number of fatalities on the country’s roads during December 2005 was 1,215. This is compared with 1,234 the previous year, where the total number of deaths in traffic accidents was 10,530.

Department of Transport spokeswoman, Collen Msibi, stated that 512 of the fatalities were pedestrians, 414 passengers, and 289 drivers. 2005 saw the number of vehicles on South Africa’s roads rise by nearly half a million to just under eight million with 779,000 new drivers adding to the dangers on the country’s roads.

“To deal with this high level of unsafety, traffic authorities will increase the number of patrol vehicles on the road, law enforcement officers and unmarked vehicles to do more spot checks and roadblocks,” Msibi said.

“Our analysis has revealed that most accidents are preceded by offences such as ignoring road signs, driving drunk, speeding, vehicles cutting in front of others, driving defective vehicles and fatigue.”

The road toll in South Africa is similar to that of South Korea, Mexico, Japan and Thailand. However, except for South Korea these countries have significantly larger populations.

The worst country in the world for deaths in road traffic accidents, is currently accepted to be China. Figures released for 2002 reveal that 250,007 people were killed in that year.

The South African government has acknowledged the problem since 2001. At that time they launched their “Arrive Alive” campaign, targeting vehicle condition, driver fitness, speeding and drunk driving.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Australian Labor Party announces new Climate Change Policy

Australian Labor Party announces new Climate Change Policy

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

Climate change

Global Warming Predictions Map.jpg
Related articles
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

The Labor Party of Australia has today launched “Our Drowning Neighbours”, a Pacific Climate Change strategy. The strategy was announced at 11am today, at Parliament House, Canberra, by Bob Sercombe MP (Shadow Minister for Pacific Island Affairs and Overseas Aid) and Anthony Albanese MP (Shadow Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Water).

Senator Bob Brown of the Australian Greens party welcomed aspects of the statement but suggested that the policy as stated was weak and pointed out that Labor had voted against Greens Senator Christine Milne’s motion calling for recognition of Pacific climate change refugees just two months previously.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Texas defeats USC in 2006 Rose Bowl

Texas defeats USC in 2006 Rose Bowl – Wikinews, the free news source

Texas defeats USC in 2006 Rose Bowl

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

The University of Texas Longhorns won the Rose Bowl and the 2005 National Championship with a 41-38 victory over the University of Southern California Trojans.

Texas quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate Vince Young sealed the win with an 8 yard run on fourth down with 5 yards to go and 19 seconds remaining. The Longhorns followed the play with a successful two-point conversion.

Young rushed for 200 yards and passed for 267 yards in the game; his combined 467 total yards of offense set a Rose Bowl record.

The victory by the Longhorns ended USC’s 34-game winning streak — then the longest in the nation. With the win, the Longhorns now control the longest streak at 20 wins. The Trojans, coached by Pete Carroll, came into the game ranked no. 1 in both the BCS and AP polls. Considering USC’s streak and the Longhorns no. 2 ranking, the Texas victory was considered an upset.

The morning of the victory President George W. Bush called Texas coach Mack Brown to congratulate the Longhorns and their victory.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Teen post officer hides 400 New Year cards in Japanese snow

Filed under: Archived,Asia,Crime and law,Japan — admin @ 5:00 am

Teen post officer hides 400 New Year cards in Japanese snow

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Materials for preparing nengajo for Japanese New Year.

Thursday, January 5, 2006

Japan Post apologized yesterday after an eighteen year old school student, employed part-time to deliver New Year postcards (known as nengajō), had instead discarded 430 of them along with 170 other postal documents in the snow.

The papers, letters, and postcards — many hand-written — were damaged as a result. He had also reportedly considered hiding the cards at his house or taking them to a vacant lot.

“Since there were too many and it seemed a tiresome [job] for me, I hid them”, said the boy to his bosses at Obanazawa-city, Yamagata Prefecture Post Office, who enforced disciplinary penalties and said they will pursue legal charges.

The issue started on January 1st when dozens of local residents started complaining to the Obanazawa Post Office that they hadn’t received their traditional and regular New Year cards. Yesterday, the post office released their apology to citizens and the media after discovering that the boy had hidden more than 600 postal documents, including 429 New Year postcards, which weren’t delivered to their intended recipients.

Sources


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Saginaw Spirit victorious in first home shootout

Filed under: Archived,Ice Hockey,Ontario Hockey League,Sports — admin @ 5:00 am

Saginaw Spirit victorious in first home shootout

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

In their first overtime game ever in the Ontario Hockey League, the Saginaw Spirit ice hockey team won against Sarnia Sting. The Spirit were also victorious in the first ever shootout at the Dow Event Center.

Friday, January 5, 2006 saw the Saginaw Spirit play division rival the Sarnia Sting at the Dow Event Center. Coming into the contest, the Spirit were in 2nd place in the OHL’s West Division with 42 points and the Sarnia Sting were in 5th place with 27 points.

The scoring began at 1:15 of the first period with Spirit forward Chris Chappell scoring on a pass from defenseman Steven Whitely. After goals from defenseman Tyson Gimblett at 8:45 and a power play goal from captain Patrick McNeill at 11:42, the Sting scored their first goal; Chad Painchaud unassisted at 12:12. Mark Katic followed with a power play goal at 14:22 to make the score 3-2 Spirit at the first intermission.

In the second period, the Spirit and Sting exchanged goals. The Spirit struck first with Ryan McDonough scoring on the power play from Michal Birner and Patrick McNeill at 12:11. The Sting responded at 14:19 with a power play goal from Nick Tuzzolino assisted by Chad Painchaud and Tomas Pospisil.

The third period saw the score become tied. The Spirit scored on the power play at 2:10 with Chris Chappell placing the puck in net from Michal Birner and Patrick McNeill. The Sting would go on to tie the hockey game with Chad Painchaud and Jamie Fraser scoring at 15:59 and 17:31 respectively. The game was tied at 5 going into the overtime period.

After a scoreless overtime, the first shootout in the history of the Dow Event Center began. Sarnia’s Chad Painchaud and the Spirit’s Michal Birner were the first to shoot. Neither scored. On their next shot, the Sting took a 1-0 shoouout lead on Tomas Pospisil’s goal. The Spirit would respond as captain Patrick McNeill would score on the very next shot. Shooting next for the Sting, Harrison Reed did not score and neither did Zack Torquato for the Spirit. According to OHL rules, the game then proceeded into sudden death. The Sting shot first. Ryan McInerny’s shot was saved by Ryan Daniels. The Spirit sent Ryan McDonough to attempt to win the game. His shot was also blocked by Parker Van Buskirk. Sarnia’s next shot was off the stick of Jamie Fraser. It was blocked. The Spirit then sent out Jesse Gimblett, brother of Tyson, to take the Spirit’s next shot. His goal won the game for the Spirit at 9:45 pm in front of a sold out crowd of 4,312.

The OHL Three Stars of the Game were Saginaw’s Jesse Gimblett with no points, but the winning goal in the shootout, and Patrick McNeill with 1 goal and two assists and Sarnia’s Chad Painchaud with 2 goals and 2 assists.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Building collapses in Mecca at eve of Hajj pillgrimage

Building collapses in Mecca at eve of Hajj pillgrimage

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Thursday, January 5, 2006

A hostel collapsed in Mecca, the holy city of Islam at about 10 o’clock this morning local time. The building housed a number of pilgrims who came to visit the holy city at the eve of hajj pilgrimage. The hostel’s guests were mostly citizens of the United Arab Emirates. The death toll is at least 15, a figure which is expected to rise. The building was situated very close to the holy mosque Masjid al Haram.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress