Wiki Actu en

April 3, 2006

Queen approves New Zealand Governor-General\’s appointment

Filed under: AutoArchived,New Zealand,Original reporting — admin @ 5:00 am

Queen approves New Zealand Governor-General’s appointment

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, April 3, 2006

New Zealand
Related articles
Location of New Zealand
New Zealand (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Her Excellency Dame Silvia Cartwright, the outgoing Governor-General.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of New Zealand, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister of New Zealand, announced today that she had approved the appointment of Judge Anand Satyanand as the next Governor-General of New Zealand. He will take office on August 4.

Flag of the Governor-General of New Zealand.

Prime Minister Helen Clark says, “Judge Satyanand will bring many personal strengths to the role of Governor-General, including a broad knowledge of the workings of government and the law, as well as a deep appreciation of the different groups and communities which make up contemporary New Zealand.”

National leader Dr Don Brash said, “Judge Satyanand has had a long period of public service in both judicial and quasi-judicial roles, and I congratulate him on his appointment… His experience makes him well suited to carry out the very important functions of Governor-General…”

Dame Silvia Cartwright will complete her term on 4 August 2006, and Judge Satyanand will be sworn in as Governor-General at “a date to be determined thereafter”.

Anand Satyanand is of Indo-Fijian descent and a former New Zealand lawyer, judge and ombudsman. He will become the thirty-fifth representative of the Sovereign since 1840, and the first of Asian descent.

Sources

Wikinews
This article features first-hand journalism by Wikinews members. See the collaboration page for more details.
Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Murder, rape of Albert Namatjira\’s great-granddaughter makes belated news

Filed under: Australia,AutoArchived — admin @ 5:00 am

Murder, rape of Albert Namatjira’s great-granddaughter makes belated news

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, April 3, 2006

Australia
Related articles
Location of Australia
Australia (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Sometime during the night of Friday, January 28, 15 year-old Jenissa Ryan was assaulted and raped in Alice Springs. She was discovered near the entrance of Centralian Senior Secondary College around 10:30 a.m., and a college employee called an ambulance. The attack was not reported in the mainstream national media until this week, when it became known that the victim was the great-granddaughter of famous indigenous artist Albert Namatjira.

In an article published in Saturdays Sydney Morning Herald, Russell Skelton said that the fact that she was an Aborigine, and the location of her bashing, contributed to her death. “If Jenissa had been white, she might be alive today, though the scars of her brutal bashing and rape could never be erased. If she had been bashed and left for dead almost anywhere else, assistance would have been immediate and the outrage strident.” He also said that if her connection to Namatjira had been known, Jenissa’s death would have been a “national scandal.”

Assault and rape

Police believe that she was attacked by a number of youths her own age while walking home. She continued to walk home, but collapsed unconscious near the entrance to the college. Here, according to police, she was found by three teenage boys, who dragged her out of view and raped her.

Jenissa was still alive when found. Skelton considered it likely that people had seen her during the morning but done nothing. “That means a number of residents of middle-class Grevillea Drive probably noticed. The white T-shirt and striped tracksuit pants were hard to miss,” he said.

She was taken to Alice Springs Hospital, and then flown to Adelaide’s Women and Children’s Hospital.

Charges

On February 13 Northern Territory Police charged a 16 year-old male and a 15 year-old female with assaulting Jenissa Ryan. Three other males, aged 14, 15, and 16, have been charged with having unlawful sexual intercourse with Jenissa Ryan. Police expressed gratitude for the assistance they had received from members of the public.

Aftermath

Father Asaeli Raass said that both indigenous and non-indigenous people were in denial about the incident. “Yes, it’s a painful thing, but people are sweeping it under the carpet when they should be confronting the big issues Jenissa’s death raises,” he said. He also said that the initial wave of publicity “never travelled outside Alice Springs.”

Jenissa’s mother, Carmel Ryan, said that her daughter wanted to be a painter, like her great-grandfather. “She wanted to be like him, to make a creative contribution we would all be proud of. Tragically that can never be, but I feel nothing but sorrow for the parents of the children involved in this terrible event,” she said.

Sources

  • Media release. “Assault” — Northern Territory Police, January 28, 2006
Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

C-5 Galaxy military cargo plane crashes at Dover Air Force Base

C-5 Galaxy military cargo plane crashes at Dover Air Force Base

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, April 3, 2006

Photograph of the damaged C-5 Galaxy cargo plane.

The Pentagon confirmed that a C-5 Galaxy military cargo plane crashed at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, saying that the plane was having “mechanical problems” and crashed “while taking off.” The plane was carrying 17 people.

ABC News reported no fatalities, but Allen Metheny, assistant director in the State Department, said that some were injured and taken to the hospital; the extent of the injuries was unknown. At least 10 people have been reported to have been taken to BayHealth hospital.

The plane crashed about 6:45 a.m. EDT (1045 UTC) and broke into three separate sections.

The C-5 Galaxy is the largest plane in operation in the U.S. military.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Business Brief for April 3, 2006

Business Brief for April 3, 2006 – Wikinews, the free news source

Business Brief for April 3, 2006

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, April 3, 2006

Arabs express interest in Kosher Phones

Mirs, an Israeli manufacturer, has created a mobile phone that blocks sex numbers, images, and other “worldly temptations.” The phones do not have text messaging, videos, or a camera. The company, a subsidiary of Motorola, has sold 20,000 of them. They were originally intended for Orthodox Jews who scorn television and radio but see mobile phones as a modern necessity. Arabs have expressed interest in the phones, via Jordanian businessmen, also for religious reasons, though they are not of the same religion. Jordan is one of the few Arab countries that has a peace treaty with Israel.

Sources

Alcatel announces Lucent Technology purchase

French company Alcatel said this weekend that it will buy Lucent Technologies for $13.4 billion. The merger will cut costs by dropping 8,800 employees, approximately 10% of their combined workforce. Lucent’s CEO Patricia Russo will serve as the CEO of the new company, to be based in Paris. Russo said that research and development costs are a primary reason for the merger.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Iran tests torpedo, plans more tests

Filed under: AutoArchived,Iran,Middle East,Politics and conflicts,World — admin @ 5:00 am

Iran tests torpedo, plans more tests – Wikinews, the free news source

Iran tests torpedo, plans more tests

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, April 3, 2006 On Sunday, Iran tested its second underwater missile, the Fajr-3. The underwater missile, Iran claims, can evade sonar.

“The missile carries a very powerful warhead that enables it to operate against groups of warships and big submarines. Even if an enemy’s warship sonar can detect the missile, no warship can escape from this missile because of its high speed,” said General Ali Fadavi of the Revolutionary Guards. He said the missile can travel at 328 feet a second.

If Iran’s claims are correct, it would make this missile the fastest underwater missile in the world. The second fastest missile would be the Russian’s VA-111 Shkval, which was developed in 1995.

Iran successfully tested its first missile on March 31, 2006, and claims that it can “evade radar and it can evade anti-missile missiles,” said Hossein Salami, head of the Revolutionary Guards Air Force. “This technology is completely new, without copying any other missile systems that may exist in other countries” and also says it can carry several warheads.

It is also reported that more missiles will be tested during war games later in the week.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Alcatel and Lucent will merge

Filed under: Archived,Cisco,Economy and business,France,United States — admin @ 5:00 am

Alcatel and Lucent will merge – Wikinews, the free news source

Alcatel and Lucent will merge

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, April 3, 2006

Lucent Technologies (USA) and Alcatel (France) announced a merger yesterday. The currently-unnamed entity will be a global corporation based in Paris, France and will become the second largest telecommunications equipment company behind Cisco, pulling ahead of Ericsson.

Sixty percent of the new company’s shares will be held by Alcatel, but Patricia Russo of Lucent will serve as CEO. Bell Labs, the New Jersey-based research and development holding of Lucent also being acquired by Alcatel, will keep their US headquarters, and a US-based entity will be set up from Bell Labs to manage sensitive US government contracts. The new firm will employ over 26,000 researchers.

However, 8,800 employees, or roughly 10% of the combined personnel, are set to be let go with the merger, after Russo’s halving of the Lucent workforce. CFDT, the main French Alcatel union involved in the deal, called a meeting of the French and European Work’s council (Comité d’entreprise) in opposition to this move.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress