Wiki Actu en

July 19, 2006

Row over NZ Police memo on issuing traffic tickets

Filed under: AutoArchived,New Zealand,Original reporting — admin @ 5:00 am

Row over NZ Police memo on issuing traffic tickets

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

New Zealand
Related articles
Location of New Zealand
New Zealand (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Wikinews
This article features first-hand journalism by Wikinews members. See the collaboration page for more details.

According to a leaked memorandum, sent to New Zealand Police officers in the Levin district last year, they will be penalised if they do not perform well in the issuing tickets.

The penalties for not reaching the target will be:

  • Pay deductions, 20% loss of pay
  • Loss of additional training courses or specialised duties
  • ‘Named and shamed’
  • Demotion

The requirement for issuing tickets is one per hour and the requirement for catching a drunk driver is one per ten hours.

Simon Power, Law and Order spokesman for the New Zealand National Party, said “It is very disturbing that police officers are being put under internal and financial pressure to write traffic tickets. And just yesterday Annette King told me in answer to a written question that police do not receive incentives, financial or otherwise, if they issue a particular number of tickets.”

Two weeks ago a different memo was leaked which showed the police officers have quotas, which the Police Minister, Annette King, dismissed.

However if police officers are performing well the Area or District Commanders will be informed which could lead to extra benefits.

The Police Central District Commander, Superintendent Mark Lammas, said that there was nothing wrong with the memo as it is reasonable for officers to be told they may not receive a pay increase if they consistently fail to enforce.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Indian Big Brother to have ban on \”hanky-panky\”

Filed under: Archived,Culture and entertainment,India,Television — admin @ 5:00 am

Indian Big Brother to have ban on “hanky-panky”

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Producers of India’s Big Brother have said that an upcoming celebrity edition will have a ban on “hanky-panky”.

A spokeswoman for Endemol India told BBC News that contestants will have to remain chaste in the Big Brother house for three months. “Participants will be told to keep their hands to themselves,” she revealed. “India is a conservative society and it is not ready for the raunchy scenes that so characterise the programmes in the West,” she added.

And unlike other versions of Big Brother around the world, India’s version will not be transmitted live in a bid to avoid showing unpleasant scenes which may cause controversy.

It is understood that up to twelve contestants will participate in the show, which is to be televised at the end of this year. The show’s producers have said they want stars from Bollywood, Indian television and cricket to live in the Big Brother compound. The managing director of Endemol India, Rajesh Kamat, said both Hindus and Muslims may be chosen, but that issues between religions would not be talked about on the programme.

India is still quite a conservative society. Close acts like kissing are never seen on TV, and only a small number of couples cohabit before marriage.

In 2006, two housemates were removed from Australia’s version of Big Brother after apparently sexually assaulting a female contestant.

Big Brother was created in the Netherlands in 1999 and has sold to almost seventy different countries.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

DNA in underwear matches Philippines rape victim

Filed under: AutoArchived,Crime and law,Philippines,Sex crimes — admin @ 5:00 am

DNA in underwear matches Philippines rape victim

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Dr. Francisco Supe Jr., a forensic analyst from the DNA Analysis Section of the Philippine National Police (PNP) Crime Laboratory, took the stand and disclosed in court for the first time that DNA was present in two pieces of evidence. According to Supe, DNA of complainant “Nicole” was found in samples of “biological fluid” found on the panties she was wearing on the night of Nov. 1, 2005 and in the condom purportedly used by accused Lance Corporal Daniel Smith in committing the alleged rape.

The used condom was retrieved at Subic’s Alava Pier where a distraught Nicole was found after the alleged rape.

“The condom and the underwear had female DNA, and they matched. They are the same DNA profiles … which means they most likely belong to the same person,” the expert witness said during direct examination by State Prosecutor Hazel Valdez.

Only Nicole’s underwear tested positive for male DNA—a result that Supe attributed to the possible “degradation” of bodily fluids on the condom to “environmental insults, particularly the humid condition, bacterial factors that may have contaminated it … and the enzyme inside DNA which destroys it when functioning outside a living system.”

In reply to Valdez’s question, Supe said that while it was possible that the evidence had not been handled properly before the turnover, he said the condom and the panties were not contaminated as they still yielded DNA samples.

Upon Valdez’s questioning, Supe related how analysts came to match the female DNA found in both specimens with that of the complainant.

He said Nicole’s DNA, extracted from a blood sample that she had voluntarily provided, was the same as that found in the panties and the condom.

“I am comparing now, and it appears that they match exactly — the DNA profiles generated from the blood sample and the samples generated from the condom and the underwear,” said Supe, referring to two DNA test results he was holding.

Valdez then sought Supe’s expertise on the possible indications of the presence of male DNA in a woman’s underwear, and asked him its possible source.

Supe replied: “We’re dealing here with a [pair of panties] and you would think of areas that come in contact with a panty… The most probable source is either saliva or seminal stains. But if you go by logic, I don’t see any reason why anybody would lick a panty.” While the test may lead experts to areas where DNA can be extracted, it cannot specify which part of the body the spots came from, Supe had explained.

Supe said the owner of the male DNA could not be identified as yet, as the crime laboratory lacked a sample with which to compare the results. None of the accused—-Smith, Lance Corporals Keith Silkwood and Dominic Duplantis, and Staff Sgt. Chad Carpentier—had submitted his specimen for DNA testing. The prosecution panel had filed a motion on July 17, asking the court to compel the accused to submit blood samples for comparison with the male DNA found in Nicole’s panties. Defense lawyers told the court that they would file their reply on July 20.

In response to the question on how could a female’s DNA be in a used condom, Supe replied: “The most plausible is that the inside of the condom came in contact with [Nicole]… Maybe that part of the condom was rubbed with [Nicole],” he said. “Most likely it came in contact with the genital area, [but it] was turned inside out most likely, such that the [DNA] specimen was preserved.”

When asked to demonstrate how a condom could have been reversed, Supe had apparently anticipated the question and brought a condom. He then demonstrated how a condom could have been turned inside out in the act of removing it.

Defense lawyer Jose Justiniano said Supe’s testimony did not help prove rape. He said the presence of the male and female DNA in the specimen could at most prove that a man and a woman had sex, not whether or not there was “a presence of force or intimidation,”

This case has garnered nationwide attention in Philippines because it involves US military men stationed in Philippines. As required by the Visiting Forces Agreement, the case has to be resolved within one year.

Cross-examination of Supe is scheduled for Thursday, July 20.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Stem cell bills passed by US House and Senate

Stem cell bills passed by US House and Senate

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005 (HR810), approved by the US House of Representatives in 2005, gained a 63-37 approval in the Senate on July 17th, 2006, and will now be presented for presidential approval or veto.

Bill HR810 passed by the Senate as SB471, overrides the 2001 executive order signed by George W. Bush that banned funding by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for embryonic stem cell research of stem cell lines created after the executive order was issued. The new bill does not include a provision against privately funded research, which is legal under the law, only research funded by NIH.

The bill includes three ethical requirements for funded research. First, the stem cells were derived from human embryos that have been donated from in-vitro fertilization clinics, were created for the purposes of fertility treatment, and were in excess of the clinical need of the individuals seeking such treatment. Second, prior to the consideration of embryo donation and through consultation with the individuals seeking fertility treatment, it was determined that the embryos would never be implanted in a woman and would otherwise be discarded. And lastly, the individuals seeking fertility treatment donated the embryos with written informed consent and without receiving any financial or other inducements to make the donation.

President Bush is expected to veto the bill as early as today, White House Press Secretary Tony Snow said the veto would be “pretty swift”. This would be President Bush’s first veto of his two terms in office.

As with any vetoed bill, a two-thirds majority of the House and Senate can override said veto, but the original vote (63-37) show that the Senate is more than likely to not get the override votes it would need. Even without the two-thirds original vote, Senator Carl Levin of Michigan has voiced support for a veto override.

Two other bills, S2754 and S3504, the Alternative Pluripotent Stem Cell Therapies Enhancement Act and the Fetus Farming Prohibition Act of 2006, respectively, were failed and passed in that order by the House of Representatives. S2754 was introduced to the House this afternoon and failed by a vote of 273-154, S3504 was passed unanimously by the House and is also expected to be on the President’s desk this morning.

Related

Sources



Bookmark-new.svg

This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Slave workers in Italy freed by police

Slave workers in Italy freed by police – Wikinews, the free news source

Slave workers in Italy freed by police

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A joint Italian and Polish police operation freed 113 Polish workers who were living in forced labor camps on a tomato farm in southern Italy. Twenty people were arrested on charges of human trafficking, and the police are on the look-out for seven more.

The police said that the freed victims were made to work “like slaves”. They were subject to rape and torture and had dogs set upon them by armed Ukrainian, Italian and Polish guards who watched over them, said Poland’s national police chief, Marek Bienkowski, speaking at a news conference in Warsaw.

The deaths of four victims in the camps are believed to be suicides and are being investigated. Police have not ruled out the possibility that more deaths have occurred in the camps.

The victims were forced to work for 15 hours a day and were fed little more than bread and water, Italian police said. “To call the situation revealed by the Carabinieri investigation simply inhuman does in no way do it justice,” sais Italy’s anti-Mafia chief, Piero Grasso, speaking to reporters in the southern city of Bari.

300 people who managed to flee the camps are being interviewed. Up to 1000 are believed to have been victims of this crime, according to the Polish news agency PAP. The workers were reportedly recruited through ads in Polish newspapers promising agricultural work in Italy.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Second quake in two days strikes Indonesia

Second quake in two days strikes Indonesia

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Location of the epicentre of the quake

An earthquake measuring 6.3 or 6.4 (according to preliminary data) on the Richter scale hit Indonesia today, days after a larger earthquake hit the same region and triggered a tsunami and killed at least 520 people. The earthquake struck the Sunda Straits separating the islands of Sumatra and Java. There are no immediate reports of damages. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said that the quake posed no risk of a tsunami, being too small in magnitude.

The US Geological Survey has reported the magnitude of the quake as 6.0.

Wikinews
This article features first-hand journalism by Wikinews members. See the collaboration page for more details.

Related

  • “Death toll rises in Indonesian tsunami” — Wikinews, July 19, 2006

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Heatwave hits the UK and Ireland

Heatwave hits the UK and Ireland – Wikinews, the free news source

Heatwave hits the UK and Ireland

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Today has seen Britain’s hottest recorded July day with temperatures hitting 36.5ºC (97.7ºF) in Wisley in Surrey. Warm air from the Gulf Stream is raising the temperature, and the hot weather is causing the asphalt on some public roads to melt, requiring gritting. Some schools stayed closed on Wednesday, while others shut at lunchtime. Many school sports days have also been cancelled.

People have been advised to drink plenty of water, not go out in the midday sun and keep curtains closed to cool rooms. People have also been asked to check the most vulnerable, including the elderly, the young and the sick. The RSPCA has also told pet owners to try and keep their pets cool.

The heat wave has also hit northern France and the Netherlands, with 4 people reported dead due to heatstroke.

However, some areas aren’t basking in the heat. Lerwick in the Shetland Islands is currently cloudy with fog, at only 18ºC (64ºF)

Weather forecasters have said that while the temperatures are not going to rise any further, it will get more humid as a band of showers arrive this evening, with night-time temperatures at 19ºC in London and Cardiff, 14ºC in Edinburgh and 18ºC in Dublin.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress