Wiki Actu en

October 18, 2006

Virus carried on fifth generation iPods

Filed under: Archived,Computing,Science and technology — admin @ 5:00 am

Virus carried on fifth generation iPods – Wikinews, the free news source

Virus carried on fifth generation iPods

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A fifth generation iPod

Apple Computer, Inc. has recently discovered a Windows computer virus on more of their fifth generation iPod ‘Video’ products.

“We recently discovered that a small number – less than 1% – of the Video iPods available for purchase after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus… So far we have seen less than 25 reports concerning this problem. The iPod nano, iPod shuffle and Mac OS X are not affected, and all Video iPods now shipping are virus free.”

The RavMonE.exe virus, more commonly known as Win32.RJump.a, is a known Trojan virus which works by opening a “backdoor” that allows others access to the infected computer. After installation, RavMonE.exe sends a message to several different servers in order to let them know about the computer’s new vulnerabilities.

Up-to-date anti-virus software installed on Windows OS machines should detect and remove the virus. Apple’s web support page is supplying links to trial programs that will remove it free of charge. Affected iPods will need to be restored to factory settings by re-installing the iTunes 7 software.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

U.S. Defense officials: Satellite photos suggest second North Korea nuclear test

U.S. Defense officials: Satellite photos suggest second North Korea nuclear test

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

North Korea’s nuclear program
North Korea's nuclear program
Recent stories
External and Inter-wiki links
  • Portal:North Korea nuclear proliferation
  • Wikipedia article about North Korea and WMDs
  • Wikipedia article about the 2006 nuclear test

A senior official with the United States Department of Defense has expressed concern over activity being monitored at two sites within North Korea, saying that satellite imagery suggested preparations for a second nuclear test. Japan and South Korea have also indicated that they have intelligence indicating possible preparations for another test.

A senior South Korean official, however, told journalists that South Korea has not yet confirmed any imminent signs of a second test and said that a second test is unlikely to occur immediately.

The U.S. official spoke to the Associated Press on the condition of anonymity, reportedly because the matter involved intelligence gathering.

The satellite photos show that ground at one site is being prepared for construction, while the other site already shows signs of construction activity, according to the U.S. defense official. The official said that such activity suggested preparation for a second nuclear weapons test.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Suicide bombing kills 16 in tourist city in Sri Lanka

Filed under: Archived,Politics and conflicts,Sri Lanka — admin @ 5:00 am

Suicide bombing kills 16 in tourist city in Sri Lanka

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sri Lanka
Related articles
Location of Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Just days following the suicide attack of unarmed Sri Lankan naval officers in Habarana, another was launched in the early hours of the morning in the southern port city of Galle. Official reports stipulate that terrorists, under the guise of fishermen in 5 boats entered the harbor and detonated after ramming into gunboats anchored at the naval base. Initial reports confirm that at least 16 people were killed and scores of others were injured in the blast.

The government has accused the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, LTTE, a militant separatist group, banned as a terrorist organisation in countries such as United States, England, India and Australia of conducting both attacks. Though the organization has not claimed responsibility for either, they are also yet to claim responsibility in a string of such attacks, including the assassination of the Indian Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi, allegedly as retribution for “war-crimes” committed by the Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka.

Analysts believe that the attack on the port city of Galle, a UNESCO heritage site and the heart of Sri Lanka’s tourist industry was aimed at sparking a government response in the lead up to talks between the government and the LTTE, as well serving an economic blow in the lead up to peak tourist season on the island.

The presence of envoys from the U.S., Japan and Norway are expected for this week’s scheduled government talks with the LTTE.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

NZ Government passes bill to legalise controversial electioneering overspending

Filed under: Archived,New Zealand,Original reporting — admin @ 5:00 am

NZ Government passes bill to legalise controversial electioneering overspending

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

New Zealand
Related articles
  • 7 May 2015: New Zealand begins process to consider changing national flag design
  • 27 April 2015: Over 10,000 attend Gallipoli dawn service for ANZAC Day centenary
  • 10 March 2015: Cricket World Cup 2015: New Zealand defeats Afghanistan by six wickets in Napier
  • 15 June 2014: Annual Japanese whaling campaign kills 30 minke whales
  • 12 April 2014: Spain’s men remain on top of FIFA global rankings for April 2014
Location of New Zealand
New Zealand (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

A new law to govern how New Zealand political parties spend money in the run up to an election has just been passed in Parliament.

The Appropriation Bill was passed by 61 votes to 50 after hours of debate.

Parliament’s been under urgency to allow Member of Parliaments (MPs) to discuss the new legislation, which now validates the $1.2 million of unlawful spending before last year’s election.

National, ACT and the Maori Party opposition failed to stop the passage of the Appropriation (Parliamentary Expenditure Validation) Bill and it passed by 61 votes to 50. The Green Party abstained.

The Government rushed the bill through under urgency in two days, despite National putting up 130 amendments to try to slow it down.

A key National amendment to make the validation conditional on all parties paying back the money was among those that failed.

The bill prompted fiery scenes in parliament with many MPs ejected from the Chamber for disorderly and inappropriate behaviour.

All parties but New Zealand First have agreed to pay back the money they were pinged for. Labour’s $824,000 bill is by far the biggest.

The bill validates all types of spending under the Parliamentary Service budget for MPs’ support going back to 1989, and extends beyond the advertising and publicity Auditor-General, Kevin Brady scrutinised to regular MPs expenses such as travel and accommodation.

It also provides a temporary definition for parliamentary purposes and electioneering to preserve what the Government says MPs had generally understood these to mean before Mr Brady’s inquiry.

Dr Donald Brash, leader of the National Party, has said that the bill effectively over-rode Mr Brady’s report and Labour had been trying to defend the indefensible.

He again argued that Mr Brady’s view that Labour’s $446,000 pledge card was outside the rules for parliamentary funding meant the card should have been counted as campaign expenses, putting Labour in breach of the election spending cap under the Electoral Act.

This meant Labour had stolen the election by breaking two laws, he said “It’s a fraudulent illegitimate government and I believe that Helen Clark should go the Governor-General, offer her resignation and invite the Governor-General to call a general election.”

The bill contained no legal obligation for anybody to pay anything back, Dr Brash said, and he questioned if Labour would get around to paying.

“What has come through this debate is a fierce and ugly sense of entitlement on the part of the Labour Party . . . that they are able to do with taxpayers money whatever they like to serve Labour Party interests,” English, said.

Related news

  • “”Corrupt” New Zealand government to repay $768,000″ — Wikinews, October 12, 2006

Sources

Wikinews
This article features first-hand journalism by Wikinews members. See the collaboration page for more details.


Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Indian lawyers debate how to execute Mohammad Afzal

Filed under: Archived,Asia,India — admin @ 5:00 am

Indian lawyers debate how to execute Mohammad Afzal

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

India
Related articles
Location of India
India (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Even as the debate over whether Mohammad Afzal should be put to death for his role in the foiled 2001 attack on Indian Parliament rages on, lawyers are trying to determine the most humane method by which he may be executed. Some are quoting a Law Commission report that says lethal injection is the most painless way of ending a condemned person’s life. A former member of the Law Commission, N M Ghatate said

Hanging is one of the cruelest ways of putting a man to death because he gets strangulated and his eyes pop out. There are many other gory details and he has to be prepared for the punishment.

Afzal’s lawyer Gavin Fernandes however rejected the lethal injection idea stating

Lethal injection has been held to be cruel, inhuman and degrading. This goes to show that whenever you take a life, whether it is by hanging or by lethal injection, it causes enormous pain

Indian law allows for the death penalty to be awarded for serious offences, albeit in the “rarest of rare” cases. Hanging has traditionally been used as a method of execution, and the other option (that of having the condemned face a firing squad) has seldom been exercised. Those against hanging however claim it is more cruel than lethal injection. Studies have however shown that the paralytic agent in the lethal injection may give the appearance that the condemned individual is “calm” due to the fact that he/she is unable to express his/her pain externally.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Clint Brown, TV3 presenter, resigns amid attack allegations

Filed under: Archived,New Zealand — admin @ 5:00 am

Clint Brown, TV3 presenter, resigns amid attack allegations

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

New Zealand
Related articles
  • 7 May 2015: New Zealand begins process to consider changing national flag design
  • 27 April 2015: Over 10,000 attend Gallipoli dawn service for ANZAC Day centenary
  • 10 March 2015: Cricket World Cup 2015: New Zealand defeats Afghanistan by six wickets in Napier
  • 15 June 2014: Annual Japanese whaling campaign kills 30 minke whales
  • 12 April 2014: Spain’s men remain on top of FIFA global rankings for April 2014
Location of New Zealand
New Zealand (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Clint Brown, sports presenter for 3 News on TV3 in New Zealand has resigned amid the allegations that he had verbally attacked a taxi driver which resulted in him being admitted to hospital with a concussion and a broken eye socket.

TV3 has confirmed that they have accepted the resignation of Brown.

Rick Friesen, Chief Operating Officer of the TV Works division of CanWest MediaWorks NZ, that runs TV3, said: “We wish to acknowledge Clint’s significant skills as a sports broadcaster, and thank him for his 17 years of very loyal service to TV3. Clint Brown is a passionate New Zealand sports fan, and he has been at the forefront of some of New Zealand’s biggest sporting moments.”

Brown said: “The last month or so has been enormously stressful for me and my family. I am pleased that the investigation into my violent assault has clarified what was and was not said. As a family we have decided that it is now time for a change. All that is left to say is thanks to TV3 for 17 great years and to the loyal viewers over that time.”

Friesen said the TV3 does not believe that Brown uttered the remarks attributed to him.

“We will celebrate Clint’s 17 years of service to TV3 with an appropriate send off,” Friesen said.

TV3 has said that they wish Brown well in his future endeavours.

Related news

  • “Clint Brown, TV3 presenter, gives “unsatisfactory” letter of apology” — Wikinews, October 6, 2006

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Pope Benedict XVI canonizes four new saints

Pope Benedict XVI canonizes four new saints

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Pope Benedict XVI

In the second canonization ceremony of his papacy, Pope Benedict XVI today named four new saints.

The new saints were Rosa Venerini (1656-1728), Mother Theodore Guerin (1798-1856), Filippo Smaldone (1848-1923), and Bishop Rafael Guizar Valencia (1878-1938).

Rosa Venerini helped to establish Italy’s first public schools for girls.

Mother Theodore Guerin pioneered schools and religious institutions in Indiana after emigrating from France in 1840. One of the schools she founded, a girls academy, is still in existence a few miles west of Terre Haute. Now named Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, it is the oldest Catholic liberal arts college for women in the United States of America.

Italian priest Filippo Smaldone founded an order of nuns and schools for the deaf.

Bishop Rafael Guizar Valencia disguised himself to care for the wounded during the anti-clerical Mexican revolution.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Argentinian woman sticks to slot machine after winning 35 million pesos

Filed under: Uncategorized — admin @ 5:00 am

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A 36-year-old woman stuck herself to a slot machine in a game hall in downtown Lomas del Mirador when she hit the jackpot of 35 million pesos, because the halls chief refused to pay up.

The woman placed a bet of 5 centavos. When the slot machine displayed that she had won 35 million pesos(1.72580651 million UK£ or 3.2279485 million US$), the game hall chief didn’t pay her that prize, because they claimed the slot machine was malfunctioning.

She then held on tightly to the slot machine for as long as it took for TV journalists and a lawyer to arrive at the scene. In the Argentine news broadcasts the machine is seen with the amount of money won on the display. The game hall offered a settlement of 125000 pesos, but she has refused to accept that offer.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress