Wiki Actu en

November 27, 2006

Rajnath re-elected as chief of Bharatiya Janata Party

Filed under: Archived,Asia,India,Politics and conflicts — admin @ 5:00 am

Rajnath re-elected as chief of Bharatiya Janata Party

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

Bharatiya Janata Party chief Rajnath Singh has been re-elected as the president of the party for the second time.

Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and opposition leader Lal Krishna Advani proposed him to retain the post of the party president.

Singh filed his nomination to O.P. Kohli, at the party headquarters in New Delhi. Kohli received other 15 nominations to support Rajnath as party chief.

The former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister, Singh has been holding the position from December, last year after taking charge from Advani.

New term for singh is expected to follow the saffron brotherhood agenda to tighten the RSS control.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Labor government retains power in Victorian election

Labor government retains power in Victorian election

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

Victoria locator-MJC.png

Victorian Premier, Steve Bracks

The Victorian Government has declared victory for a third term, with Steve Bracks now the state’s longest-serving Labor Premier. Following last weekend’s state election, despite a primary vote swing of 4.4 per cent against the State Government, the Liberal Party were unable to get the substantial shift neeeded to unseat Bracks’ government.

Premier Steve Bracks told the ABC that the win is a historic result. “Only the second time in 150 years that a Labor Party has won three consecutive elections,” he said. Labor’s Victorian president Bill Shorten said the party expected to lose some seats after achieving a record win in 2002.

Opposition leader Liberal Ted Baillieu conceded defeat but said the election result showed a renewed confidence in his team. “I look forward to working with them to keep this Government accountable,” he said. He urged the Liberal Party to work towards the 2010 campaign.

Votes are still to be fully counted but the National Party have achieved eight Lower House seats, while the Greens and Labor are still battling to see which party obtains the inner-city seat of Melbourne. The Age reports that Mr Bracks could have a majority of 22 seats in the new parliament — down from 36.

The Bracks government was elected in 1999. Bracks is now Labor’s longest serving Victorian premier, exceeding John Cain Jr‘s 3,047 day reign.


Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

John Key new leader of New Zealand National Party

Filed under: Archived,New Zealand — admin @ 5:00 am

John Key new leader of New Zealand National Party

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

New Zealand
Related articles
  • 7 May 2015: New Zealand begins process to consider changing national flag design
  • 27 April 2015: Over 10,000 attend Gallipoli dawn service for ANZAC Day centenary
  • 10 March 2015: Cricket World Cup 2015: New Zealand defeats Afghanistan by six wickets in Napier
  • 15 June 2014: Annual Japanese whaling campaign kills 30 minke whales
  • 12 April 2014: Spain’s men remain on top of FIFA global rankings for April 2014
Location of New Zealand
New Zealand (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Today at a special caucus meeting, member of parliaments (MP) for National agreed that the new leader of the opposition, New Zealand’s National Party, is John Key and the deputy leader is Bill English. They are taking over from past leader, Dr Don Brash and past deputy leader, Gerry Brownlee.

Dr Brash quit last week as he thought he was damaging the image of the National Party and Gerry Brownlee didn’t seek leadership or to continue being the deputy.

Bill English, 45-years-old, is the former leader of the National Party. He was outed in 2003, for a bad performance at the 2002 New Zealand elections, and replaced by Dr Brash. Mr English only managed to get 22% of the votes cast.

John Key, also 45-years-old, said at the announcement of the new leader and deputy leader that he was honoured that he was chosen to be the new leader of the National Party and also honoured that Mr English would be his deputy. “Can I tell you I think we will make a formidable team,” he said. Key said the public placed a high value on unity.

“The new leadership represents the future,” and Helen Clark, Prime Minister of New Zealand, and deputy PM, Michael Cullen “represent the past,” Mr Key said.

Mr English had supported Mr Key as long as he was promised the position of deputy.

Murray McCully, strategy manager, met Mr English, Mr Key and Simon Power, supporter of Mr English, in Auckland where they discussed and finalised the takeover of the party.

Mr Key said: “…It was critical that we proved we can manage ourselves. If we do that successfully then we can earn the right to manage the country. People definitely took the view they were putting the party before themselves.”

Mr English said that he believes that he and Mr Key will be the leaders for several elections.

The political editor for Newstalk ZB and Prime News, Barry Soper, said: “The two forty-somethings give the party a new, young look. It is a meteoric rise for John Key. The 45-year-old only rejoined the National Party less than 10 years ago, and became an MP just over four years ago. However, it is still not as meteoric as Don Brash’s rise to the job – he had only been an MP for a year when he was made leader.”

Dr Brash will however stay on the National Party. He is at number 3 on the list of National MPs, behind Key and English. His new caucus responsibilities will be Spokesman for the Security and Intelligence Service and Spokesman for Relationships with Non-Government Parties. His select committee responsibility is Security and Intelligence.

Since 1999 when New Zealand Labour Party took power, National has had four leaders which has given an image to the public of instability. Mr Key is the fifth leader.

Mr English will now be the finance spokesman taking over from Mr Key.

Related news

  • “New Zealand National Party leader, Don Brash, resigns” — Wikinews, November 23, 2006

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Greg Chappell under fire for his remarks on Indian MPs

Filed under: Africa,Archived,Asia,Cricket,India,Politics and conflicts,Sports — admin @ 5:00 am

Greg Chappell under fire for his remarks on Indian MPs

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

India
Related articles
Location of India
India (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Members of Indian Parliament have attacked cricket coach Greg Chappell over his comments about the criticism levelled against him by certain politicians.

Chappell fuelled the controversy by making controversial statements and said that he was not surprised by the sharp criticism from the MPs over the team’s poor performance in one-day international matches. He added that they were doing the “job they were paid for”.

Seven Members of Parliament attacked him for his controversial statements. One of them even threatened a privilege motion against the coach.

Minister for Women and Child Development Renuka Choudhary said, “If Members of Parliament are willing, a privilege motion can be moved against Chappell,”.

On Sunday, after 106-run defeat in Capetown, Chappell said that the key players are not playing well enough and that many players are out of form.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Eden Park to be upgraded for New Zealand\’s Rugby World Cup

Filed under: Archived,New Zealand,Original reporting — admin @ 5:00 am

Eden Park to be upgraded for New Zealand’s Rugby World Cup

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

New Zealand
Related articles
  • 7 May 2015: New Zealand begins process to consider changing national flag design
  • 27 April 2015: Over 10,000 attend Gallipoli dawn service for ANZAC Day centenary
  • 10 March 2015: Cricket World Cup 2015: New Zealand defeats Afghanistan by six wickets in Napier
  • 15 June 2014: Annual Japanese whaling campaign kills 30 minke whales
  • 12 April 2014: Spain’s men remain on top of FIFA global rankings for April 2014
Location of New Zealand
New Zealand (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand.

The New Zealand Government has announced that it is ditching its preferred option of building a new stadium on Auckland’s waterfront and instead is going to upgrade Auckland’s current stadium of Eden Park for the 2011 Rugby World Cup final that New Zealand is hosting.

The decision is only if Eden Park can do a “…redevelopment design, and on governance and funding issues going forward, with a report back to Cabinet by December 13. This report back date will not affect building timelines,” Trevor Mallard, minister for sport, said.

The waterfront stadium was to cost NZ$497 million compared to the upgrade of Eden Park which will cost $385 million.

John Alexander, chief executive of Eden Park, said: “This decision is the right one for Auckland and for New Zealand. The Eden Park of 2011 will make Auckland and New Zealand proud. Not only will it preserve our rich sporting and social history, and provide sports viewing of an international quality, our plans will put the Park back into Eden Park.”

Mr Mallard said: “The decision on a stadium had always been one for Auckland to make but unfortunately Auckland has been unable to agree to a preference, with Auckland City Council in favour of a waterfront site, and the Auckland Regional Council not favouring such a site.”

The North Harbour stadium has been announced as the back up option, “It has also been agreed that North Harbour be considered as a reserve option for the time being…” Mr Mallard said.

“Cabinet today considered two options given this lack of unanimity – either to convene a group of all key parties to see whether issues with the waterfront could be overcome, or to support a redevelopment of Eden Park, which was the Auckland City Council’s second option, subject to further work,” Mr Mallard said.

“Cabinet decided to explore an alternative stadium site after it became clear – in August – that the cost of an Eden Park redevelopment had gone from around $150 million when the hosting bid was won, to an estimated $320 million. The latest Eden Park version is estimated to cost $385 million. If the government had been advised of the escalation of these costs earlier, then the timeframe would not have been so tight, and the process of evaluating options and consultation would have been much different,” Trevor Mallard noted.

Related news

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg
Wikinews
This article features first-hand journalism by Wikinews members. See the collaboration page for more details.


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Canadian Cabinet Minister resigns over Harper\’s Quebec motion

Canadian Cabinet Minister resigns over Harper’s Quebec motion

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

Canada
Other Canadian stories
  • 22 October 2014: One confirmed dead after shooting at National War Memorial in Ottawa
  • 3 July 2014: Indian space agency launches five foreign satellites
  • 29 June 2014: Canada wins 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championship
  • 28 June 2014: Germany and Canada into 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championships final
  • 27 June 2014: Germany, Netherlands, Canada and USA into Women’s Wheelchair Basketball Championships semi-finals
…More articles here
Location of Canada

A map showing the location of Canada

Wikinews Canada.png

To write, edit, start or view other Canada articles, see the Canada Portal

Michael Chong, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Minister of Sport, and MP for the riding of Wellington—Halton Hills, has resigned over Stephen Harper’s Quebec motion. The motion asks MPs if Quebec is a nation “within a united Canada”.

Chong opposed the vote saying that it was akin to ethnic nationalism, which he opposes.

“It is nothing else but the recognition of ethnic nationalism, and that is something I cannot support. It cannot be interpreted as the recognition of a territorial nationalism, or it does not refer to the geographic entity, but to a group of people,” Chong said.

“I am resigning as minister so I can abstain from the vote tonight,” Chong said at a news conference in Ottawa, the nations capital. “While I am loyal to my party and to my leader, my first loyalty is to my country. I believe in one nation undivided called Canada.”

Chong remains a Conservative member of Parliament. Later in the day, Prime Minister Stephen Harper appointed York—Simcoe, Ontario MP Peter Van Loan to the position vacated by Chong.

Harper asked Liberal race contender Stéphane Dion for guidance with the Quebec motion instead of asking the now former Intergovernmental Affairs Minister, Michael Chong.

Michael Ignatieff, the front-runner in the Liberal leadership race, has proposed a similar motion. Liberal leadership candidate, Gerard Kennedy, said he opposes the motion and finds it divisive to national unity and could advance the separatist agenda.

The vote will be held tonight in the House of Commons.

Related news

  • “Harper to recognize Quebec as nation within Canada” — Wikinews, November 23, 2006

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Spanish cyclist Isaac Gálvez dies after crash in Ghent, Belgium

Spanish cyclist Isaac Gálvez dies after crash in Ghent, Belgium

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

File:Galvez Isaac.jpg

Isaac Gálvez
(Image missing from commons: image; log)

World Madison champion Isaac Gálvez Lopez died in the early hours of Sunday morning after crashing on the fifth day of the Six Days of Ghent track cycling race.

He collided with Belgium’s Dimitri DeFauw during the second Madison of the evening and hit a metal barrier. He was immediately knocked unconscious, and despite being resuscitated, he was pronounced dead at the Gent University Clinic hospital.

The race was immediately suspended, and the final day’s racing was cancelled.

At the time of the accident, Gálvez and team-mate Juan Llaneras were lying second in the overall standings, one lap behind the Belgium/German pair Iljo Keisse and Robert Bartko.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Korea: Multilateral negotiations may resume soon

Korea: Multilateral negotiations may resume soon

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, November 27, 2006

Negotiations about the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula may be resumed soon. Talks which had included China, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) in Northern Korea, the Republic of Korea (ROK) in South Korea, the United States, Russia and Japan broke down last November when USA took sanctions against the DPRK alleging that it had engaged in money laundering.

The DPRK alarmed the world and provoked international denunciation by conducting an underground nuclear test on October 8, 2006. Since then the DPRK has indicated its willingness to resume talks on nuclear disarmament, but no date has yet been fixed for a formal meeting.

Kenichiro Sasae, head of Japanese Foreign Ministry’s Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau has arrived in Beijing to meet Wu Dawei, vice foreign minister of China

The DPRK’s Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan, may also visit Beijing shortly.

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress