Wiki Actu en

September 22, 2010

Former Ecuadorian football referee Byron Moreno arrested for drug smuggling

Former Ecuadorian football referee Byron Moreno arrested for drug smuggling

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ecuador
Other stories from Ecuador
…More articles here
Location of Ecuador

A map showing the location of Ecuador

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Ecuador, see the Ecuador Portal
Flag of Ecuador.svg

Moreno was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport

Byron Moreno, a former Ecuadorian football referee who officiated at the 2002 FIFA World Cup, has been arrested for suspected drug smuggling. Moreno was arrested at John F. Kennedy International airport after he arrived on a flight from Ecuador.

During a routine check, security found 10 clear bags containing nearly 10 pounds of heroin. The drugs had been strapped to his body and concealed in his underwear. In a complaint filed in a Brooklyn federal court it said that during the inspection Moreno “became visibly nervous.” It also said “A customs agent felt hard objects on the defendant’s stomach, back and both of his legs. A strip search revealed that the lumps were 10 clear plastic bags containing more than 10 pounds of heroin”.

A judge jailed Moreno without bail on charges of drug smuggling.

Moreno is most well remembered after he refereed the World Cup second round match between Italy and host’s South Korea. Moreno had disallowed a valid Italian goal and sent off Italian striker Francesco Totti for apparent diving. He also failed to call any attention to any of the South Korean’s foul play. Moreno resigned from refereeing in 2003.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Evanston, Illinois middle school evacuated after bomb threat

Evanston, Illinois middle school evacuated after bomb threat

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search
Crime and law
Related articles
  • 29 June 2015: Dozens dead in Mumbai after consuming toxic alcohol
  • 11 June 2015: 16-year-old girl charged with attempted murder in Melbourne, Australia
  • 30 May 2015: Non-parole period extended to 43 years for Australian rapist and murderer
  • 28 May 2015: Western Australia police close in on murder suspect, arrest warrant issued
  • 21 May 2015: Yingluck Shinawatra, former Thai prime minster, begins her trial in Bangkok over corruption allegations

Crime and law
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Chicago, Illinois area Haven Middle School in Evanston was evacuated today after school officials received a call about a bomb threat.

At around 12:30 PM, the junior-high school was evacuated, with the over 600 students being taken to the nearby Kingsley Elementary School. The middle schoolers, who are in the age range of 11–14, remained at Kingsley until around 2:30PM. Police searched the school and did not find any bombs.

School resumed after the “all clear” signal from police, and classes will be in session on Thursday.

The Haven bomb threat comes a week after a headless body with a pipe bomb was found near Nichols Middle School, which is also in Evanston. Last Friday, a bomb threat was detected at Evanston’s Evanston Township High School. The bomb threat had been scribbled on toilet paper. The high school was evacuated and police searched the school, later deciding that the threat was a false one.


Related news

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Denver Broncos player Kenny McKinley found dead aged 23

Denver Broncos player Kenny McKinley found dead aged 23

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wikinews Sports
Sports icon.png
Other sports stories

McKinley while with the Denver Broncos in 2009

Kenny McKinley, an American football player for the Denver Broncos, has been found dead at the age of 23. The wide receiver was found dead in the master bedroom of his home in the Denver suburbs. The cause of death is suspected to be suicide by a self-inflicted gunshot to the head.

President and CEO of the Denver Broncos Pat Bowlen released a statement about McKinley’s death on the Broncos’ official website. He said “Everyone with the Broncos is shocked and saddened by the loss of Kenny McKinley. He was part of the Broncos family and will be greatly missed by our organization. My most heartfelt condolences go out to Kenny’s family and friends.”

Andrew Bondarowicz, McKinley’s agent, said McKinley had been visiting family in Atlanta and had only shortly returned to Denver at the time of his death.

Originally from South Carolina, McKinley was selected in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. In college, he became only the 12th player in SEC history to collect more than 2,700 receiving yards.

McKinley has become the third young Broncos player to die in recent years. Darrent Williams was shot dead on New Year’s Eve in 2007 and Damien Nash died after he collapsed during a charity basketball game a month later. ESPN‘s Adam Schefter said on his twitter page “No NFL team has been hit harder than Denver. Darrent Williams, Damien Nash. Kenny McKinley. RIP.”



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Common cold virus may be linked to childhood obesity

Common cold virus may be linked to childhood obesity

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search
Health
Related articles
  • 6 June 2015: Major haemorrhage linked to alcoholism announced as cause of Charles Kennedy’s death
  • 2 June 2015: Beau Biden, son of US vice president, dies at 46
  • 1 June 2015: Kerry hospitalized after cycling accident
  • 8 May 2015: Teen accused of Anzac Day terror plot applies for bail
  • 8 May 2015: Indiana Governor signs needle exchange program

Health
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

According to a new study, a common cold virus may be linked to childhood obesity, which is epidemic in the United States and some other developed countries.
Image: Walter Siegmund.

Researchers at the University of California, San Diego have found that a common cold virus may be linked to childhood obesity.

In the study of 124 children aged eight to eighteen, kids who had antibodies to adenovirus 36 (AD36) weighed on average 50 pounds more than children who didn’t have the antibodies. When children have AD36 antibodies, that means they had the virus at some point in their life. AD36 causes colds and eye infections.

Comparing the obese children who had the antibodies versus the obese children who didn’t have the antibodies, the kids with the antibodies were significantly more obese, at 35 pounds heavier.

“This shows that body weight regulation and the development of obesity are very complicated issues,” Dr. Jeffrey Schwimmer, the study’s lead author, said. Schwimmer also said that “[i]t’s not simply a case that some children eat too much and others don’t. There are children who eat all the wrong things in all the wrong quantities who are not obese.”

Schwimmer said that he’s not blaming the US childhood obesity epidemic on the virus, but noted that “I’ve seen children who had very brisk weight gain in a given year for reasons that were very hard to pinpoint. These may be the children who have obesity related to this infection.”

The study is backed up by past reports that show the virus boosts production of fat cells. In studies in which animals were infected with AD36, the animals gained a significant amount of weight.

There is currently no vaccine for AD36, and no routine screening for the virus. Dr. Goutham Rao, clinical director of the Weight Management and Wellness Center at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, said that “People want a magic solution. Unfortunately, we don’t have one. What people can do is focus on a child’s behaviors and eliminate the unhealthy behaviors.” Rao also said that “Instead of coming to the doctor and requesting a test for the virus, parents would do better to discuss key behaviors to combat obesity.”

Dr. James Cherry, specialist in pediatric infectious diseases at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), was also interested by the study. He said that if the link between AD36 and obesity were confirmed, developing a vaccine for the virus could be worthwhile. “More than 20 percent of the obese children in this study were positive for the antibody. If we could prevent 20 percent of all obesity, that would be pretty impressive,” Cherry said.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Belgian Eurovision singer Fud Leclerc dies at age 86

Belgian Eurovision singer Fud Leclerc dies at age 86

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Belgium
Other stories from Belgium
  • 9 March 2015: Five dead after bar attack in Bamako, Mali
  • 15 February 2015: Netanyahu calls for European Jews to move to Israel
  • 26 June 2014: Belgian men’s goalball team departs for Finland for World Championships
  • 26 September 2013: 2012 Report on Gender Equality and Development credits Icelandic parental policy with ‘hopeful’ changes
  • 26 September 2013: 2012 Report on Gender Equality and Development suggests Australian women are doing okay
…More articles here
Location of Belgium

A map showing the location of Belgium

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Belgium, see the Belgium Portal
Flag of Belgium.svg

Fud Leclerc at the 1958 Eurovision Song Contest

Fud Leclerc, who represented Belgium at the Eurovision Song Contest four times, has died at the age of 86. Leclerc had the distinct honour of being the first person to score nul points at the 1962 contest.

The singer performed at the first contest in 1956 and appeared again two years later and achieved his best result with his performance of Ma petite chatte. After appearing for the third time at the 1960 contest he made his final appearance at the 1962 contest. At the 1962 contest Leclerc became the first person in Eurovision history to fail to score any points, also known as Nul Points.

During his career he also worked as a pianist and a songwriter. After his final Eurovision appearance he left the music industry and became a building contractor. In 2005 he made an appearance on a special programme to commemorate Eurovision.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress