Wiki Actu en

February 14, 2011

NASCAR: Dale Earnhardt, Jr. earns 2011 Daytona 500 pole

NASCAR: Dale Earnhardt, Jr. earns 2011 Daytona 500 pole

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search
NASCAR
NASCAR practice.jpg
NASCAR on Wikinews

File photo of Earnhardt.
Image: US National Guard.

Monday, February 14, 2011

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. won his first pole position of the season today for the 2011 Daytona 500 that will be held at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida. His time of 48.364 seconds was faster than all others who qualified. Jeff Gordon followed in the second position with a time of 48.396. Unlike other qualifying sessions, this qualifying session only decided the first and second position, while the others will be decided by the two Gatorade Duels held on February 17.

It was the third time that both first and second place car was from Hendrick Motorsports. Following his qualifying run, he said, “We had a great car today. I didn’t really have a whole lot to do with it, just had to hold on the bottom as tight as I could and the power and the body and everything does all the work.” He continued, “It obviously gives you a good idea that you’ve got a great car, but anyone can win the race. There’s guys that qualified outside the top 20 that have got winning cars.” Earnhardt started second in the race last year, and has won the race once, which was in 2004.

The race will be held at 13:00 EST on February 20, 2011. The race will be broadcast on Fox in the United States. It will also be broadcast on the radio station Motor Racing Network at 12:00 EST.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Indian foreign minister criticized after reading wrong speech at UN summit

Filed under: Archived,Asia,India,Politics and conflicts,United Nations — admin @ 5:00 am

Indian foreign minister criticized after reading wrong speech at UN summit

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, February 14, 2011

India
Related articles
Location of India
India (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

S.M. Krishna in 2009
Image: Naveah.

India’s foreign minister has been criticized by Members of Parliament after he read out the wrong speech at a UN summit. S.M. Krishna accidentally read out the speech belonging to the foreign minister of Portugal for three minutes before he was corrected by officials. Both members of the opposition party and that of Krishna’s spoke out against his mistake.

Satyavrat Chaturvedi, the Congress spokesman, said, “the ministry is supposed to be vigilant enough. This ultimately reflects on the Government of India… especially when we are seeking to become a permanent member of the Security Council.” While the senior opposition party leader Venkaiah Naidu said, “was it a negligence or mistake? Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should explain to the nation why and how it happened at a world forum and he should also explain what are the steps being taken in this regard.”

Krishna has commented on his mistake himself releasing a statement saying “Unfortunately, it happened. There was nothing wrong in it. There were so many papers spread in front of me so by mistake the wrong speech was taken out.”

This is not the first time that the wrong speech has been read out at a UN summit. In 2009 US President Barack Obama accidentally read out the speech of the Irish prime minister because the speeches got mixed up on the teleprompter.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Four found dead in Leicestershire, England

Four found dead in Leicestershire, England

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, February 14, 2011

United Kingdom
Related articles
Location of the United Kingdom
United Kingdom (orthographic projection).svg
Collaborate!
  • Pillars of Wikinews writing
  • Writing an article

Cquote1.svg No causes of death have been established at present, but the deaths of the woman and children are being treated as suspicious. Inquiries are at an early stage, but officers are not looking for anyone else at this time. Cquote2.svg

Leicestershire Constabulary spokesperson

Four dead bodies have been discovered in two separate locations within the town of Leicester, in Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom. All four individuals are thought to be from the same family unit, with one man, one woman and two children among the dead.

On Friday night, Aram Abdul Razaq Aziz, who was male and aged 32, was discovered deceased in Watermead Country Park. On Saturday afternoon, the body of 24-year-old Joy Small was discovered in an apartment on Jersey Road. Her son, three-year-old Aubarr Aziz and her daughter Chanarra, aged two, were discovered alongside her and were also found to be dead.

Post-mortem examinations are anticipated to occur on Monday. A spokesperson for Leicestershire Constabulary stated that “[n]o causes of death have been established at present, but the deaths of the woman and children are being treated as suspicious. Inquiries are at an early stage, but officers are not looking for anyone else at this time.”

According to BBC News, police have been involved in previous incidents with the family.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Former Egyptian president Mubarak reportedly ill, may be in coma

Former Egyptian president Mubarak reportedly ill, may be in coma

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, February 14, 2011

Egypt
Other stories from Egypt
  • 16 February 2015: Islamic State execute 21 Coptic Christians held in Libya
  • 27 January 2015: Greek singer Demis Roussos dies aged 68
  • 23 December 2014: Egypt opens Rafah border crossing for additional day
  • 16 December 2014: Freighter hits fishing boat in Gulf of Suez; thirteen dead
  • 24 November 2014: Sisi: Egypt willing to send stabilizing forces to future Palestinian State
…More articles here
Location of Egypt

A map showing the location of Egypt

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Egypt, see the Egypt Portal
Flag of Egypt.svg

Mubarak in 2009.
Image: Presidency of Italy.

Al Arabiya is reporting that former president of Egypt Hosni Mubarak, 82, has fallen into a coma. According to the network, Mubarak went into a coma on Saturday night after falling ill. Sameh Shoukry, the Egyptian ambassador to the United States said on the Today Show on NBC, that Mubarak is “possibly in bad health.” He is currently being treated at his home in Sharm el-Sheikh on the coast of the Red Sea.

“I am following the rumors and the press reports related to his health, and might have received some communication at a personal level indicating that he is possibly in somewhat of bad health,” added Shoukry. “I really don’t have sufficient information so I wouldn’t like to speculate [on his condition].”

Al Arabiya was quoting an article published in an Egyptian newspaper called al-Masry al-Youm, which states that Mubarak fainted at least two times while recording his last speech as president on Thursday night. Other newspapers reported that he stopped taking medications and was depressed. Shortly after leaving Cairo and arriving at his seaside home, Mubarak became ill and reportedly went into a coma. Egyptian State Television denies that Mubarak is in a coma, but does say that he is severely ill.

“[Mubarak is suffering from a] severe psychological condition and is declining treatment, despite his illness,” Al-Gomhuria daily, a pro government news agency in Egypt.

Mubarak was ousted as president of Egypt on Friday after 18 days of mass, pro-democracy protests which mainly called for his resignation. He had been president for nearly 30 years.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Canadian rapper Bad News Brown murdered in Montreal

Canadian rapper Bad News Brown murdered in Montreal

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, February 14, 2011

Canada
Other Canadian stories
  • 22 October 2014: One confirmed dead after shooting at National War Memorial in Ottawa
  • 3 July 2014: Indian space agency launches five foreign satellites
  • 29 June 2014: Canada wins 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championship
  • 28 June 2014: Germany and Canada into 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championships final
  • 27 June 2014: Germany, Netherlands, Canada and USA into Women’s Wheelchair Basketball Championships semi-finals
…More articles here
Location of Canada

A map showing the location of Canada

Wikinews Canada.png

To write, edit, start or view other Canada articles, see the Canada Portal

Bad News Brown in 2010
Image: Bnb2010.

Canadian rapper Bad News Brown has been found dead in southwestern Montreal. Brown, whose real name was Paul Frappier, was found by some abandoned buildings near the Lachine Canal by a passerby. He was 33 years-old.

Oliver Lapointe, a police spokesman, said Frappier’s upper body had “clear signs of violence”. He added “We do not know the motive and we have no witnesses.”

Henry Gelot, Frappier’s manager, released a statement saying “Bad News Brown’s death is a great loss for the entire hip-hop and music community in Quebec. In addition to being one of the first rappers from Quebec to reach international acclaim, Bad News Brown has certainly left a mark on everyone who knew him.”

Frappier was born on the island of Haiti. He moved to Canada when still young and was adopted by a family from Montreal. He started his career as a street busker and performed in several Montreal Metro stations. According to his Facebook page he later became an opening act for several major stars including 50 Cent, Snoop Dog, and Kanye West. Born 2 Sin, Frappier’s first album, was released a year ago.

Fans have also paid tribute to Frappier through his Facebook page. One person commented “Your sounds will flow for eternity.”



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress