Wiki Actu en

May 22, 2011

Two dead as earthquake strikes Kütahya, Turkey

Filed under: Archived,Europe,Turkey — admin @ 5:00 am

Two dead as earthquake strikes Kütahya, Turkey

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Two people were killed in a magnitude 5.9 earthquake in Turkey shortly before midnight local time on Thursday. The epicenter was located in Simav, Kütahya, and was at a depth of 7.6 km. In the hours following the initial earthquake, Kütahya was shaken by several aftershocks.

Officials said two people were killed; one was thought to have suffered a heart attack and the other died after jumping from a window in panic. Dozens more were injured. Emergency services dispatched search and rescue crews and gave out blankets, food and water. Officials said a wastewater dam had not been damaged by the earthquake, and it posed “no risk.”

The earthquake was felt as far away as the Aegean province of İzmir, the northwestern provinces of Bursa and İstanbul, and even the city of Edirne, not far from the Bulgarian and Greek and borders, because the depth was very shallow. More than 18,000 people died following two earthquakes with a magnitude of more than 7.0 in northwestern Turkey in 1999.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Pope speaks with astronauts in orbit for first time

Pope speaks with astronauts in orbit for first time

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Space
Related stories
  • 30 January 2015: Scientists find ancient solar system in Milky Way galaxy
  • 11 January 2015: SpaceX launches fifth resupply rocket to International Space Station
  • 10 January 2015: Researchers say light signal from space suggests merging black holes
  • 8 December 2014: Orion Spacecraft accomplishes first spaceflight test
  • 13 November 2014: Philae space probe lands on comet

Scorpius-Centaurus Associazion
More information on Space:
  • Outer space
  • Spaceflight
  • Space and survival
  • Space exploration
  • Space portal

Astronauts receive a call from the Pope
Image: NASA.

The International Space Station
Image: NASA.

Pope Benedict XVI spoke with astronauts aboard the International Space Station yesterday, marking the first time a pope has conversed with astronauts in orbit.

Organized by the European Space Agency (ESA), the call originated from the Vatican Library at 7:11 am Eastern time. German ESA astronaut Thomas Reiter, president of the Italian Space Agency Enrico Saggese, and General Giuseppe Bernardis of the Italian Air Force were also in the room at the Vatican. Aboard the spacecraft were Italian, U.S., and Russian crew members of the Endeavour STS-134 mission and Expedition 27.

Endeavour commander and U.S. astronaut Mark Kelly greeted His Holiness aboard the spacecraft. The Pope wished Kelly’s wife, Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, well as she recovers from an assassination attempt that took place in January. Doctors inserted a hard plastic implant, or a bone flap, into Giffords’s skull last Wednesday. The Pope also asked of the astronauts’ impressions of the planet from space.

“We fly over most of the world and we don’t see borders, but at the same time we realize that people fight with each other and there is a lot of violence in this world,” Kelly said. The Pope sent his condolences to Italian astronaut Paolo Nespoli, whose mother died earlier this month while he was in space.



Related news

  • “Space Shuttle Endeavour launches for final time” — Wikinews, May 18, 2011

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Libya releases four foreign journalists

Libya releases four foreign journalists – Wikinews, the free news source

Libya releases four foreign journalists

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Libya
Other stories from Libya
…More articles here
Location of Libya

A map showing the location of Libya

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Libya, see the Libya Portal
Flag of Libya

Wednesday saw Libya release four journalists, detained for six weeks and, accused of entering the country illegally. The two Americans, one British, and Spanish correspondents were taken to Tripoli’s Rixo hotel upon their release.

James Foley, Clare Morgana Gillis, Nigel Chandler and Spanish photographer Manu Brabo were captured on April 4 by Muammar al-Gaddafi’s military; the day prior to their release, a suspended sentence of one year and $154 fine were imposed for their illegal entry to Libya.

Moussa Ibrahim, a government spokesman, said the detainees are free to stay and carry on reporting in Libya or, if they requested to leave, could be escorted to the Tunisian border. Claiming their detention was due to confusion over the journalists’ identities, and citing foreign combatants fighting with rebel forces, as the cause of the mix-up, Ibrahim offered an apology and stated that, as journalists, they are harmless.

The journalists worked for The New York Times, GlobalPost, the Atlantic, USA Today, and the BBC. The fate of South African photographer Anton Hammerl is still unclear and he is believed to be still missing.

The foreign journalists were held in different detention centres around Tripoli and refused contact with the outside world.

The conflict between uprising rebel forces and Gaddafi’s Libyan government continues from February this year.

Under the UN, NATO forces are currently carrying out air strikes across Libya recently focussing attacks in Tripoli. Aiming to protect civillians from Col Muammer Gaddafi trying to quash the anti-government rebellion.



Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Four killed in militant attack on Karachi military base

Four killed in militant attack on Karachi military base

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pakistan
Other stories from Pakistan
  • 18 February 2015: Pakistan releases 173 Indian prisoners at Wagah border
  • 18 December 2014: Nation mourns, world condemns Taliban attack on Pakistan army school
  • 14 August 2014: Indian Prime Minister accuses Pakistan of waging proxy war
  • 27 July 2014: India and Pakistan accuse each other of ceasefire violation
  • 24 July 2014: Security guards attacked in Peshawar, Pakistan
…More articles here
Location of Pakistan

A map showing the location of Pakistan

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Pakistan, see the Pakistan Portal
Flag of Pakistan.svg

At least four people have been killed in a militant attack on a Pakistani military base in Karachi. Explosions and gunfire were heard inside the base during the latest militant attack since U.S. forces killed Osama bin Laden in a raid on his compound in the country earlier this month.

Officials said as many as twenty militants may have attacked PNS Mehran in Karachi, the largest city in the country, and confirmed four had been injured and five wounded. Reports indicate Pakistani forces at the base are fighting back against the attackers; one military aircraft has been destroyed.

There are likely to be questions over how militants were able to infiltrate the base, even after warnings from the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan that there will be reprisal attacks for the killing of Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda, in Pakistan this month. A spokesperson for the militant group said they would launch attacks on Pakistani military forces to avenge the terrorist leader.



Related articles

  • “Pakistani Taliban threaten revenge attack after bin Laden death; CIA says retaliation is likely” — Wikinews, May 22, 2011

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg


This text comes from Wikinews. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 licence. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikinews.

Powered by WordPress