Wiki Actu en

May 20, 2008

Wikipedia: Der Standard

Filed under: — admin @ 11:12 pm
The 2007-06-27 front page of Der Standard.

The 2007-06-27 front page of Der Standard.

Type Daily newspaper
Format Broadsheet

Owner Oscar Bronner
Publisher Standard Verlagsgesellschaft m. b. H
Editor Alexandra Föderl-Schmid
Founded 1988
Politicalallegiance liberal
Headquarters Herrengasse 19-21, 1010 Vienna

Website: www.derstandard.at

Der Standard is an Austrian national daily newspaper which is published in Vienna (although the paper is produced in Tulln an der Donau in Lower Austria due to that Bundesland’s lower taxes). It is published on distinctive pink paper. It was founded by Oscar Bronner as a financial newspaper and the first edition was published on 1988-10-19. Bronner remains the paper’s publisher and he is also nominally the editor-in-chief along with Alexandra Föderl-Schmid, who handles the day-to-day editing. When Föderl-Schmid took over from Gerfried Sperl in July 2007, Der Standard became the first Austrian newspaper to have a female editor-in-chief. Der Standard see itself as liberal and independent.

Although Der Standard is intended to be a national paper, in the past it had an undeniable tendency to focus on Vienna. This tendency has been lessened by the opening of editorial offices in the provinces (currently Styria, Upper Austria and Carinthia) and the introduction of regional sections. Der Standard is a paper from which the foreign media readily quote when an opinion from the Austrian press is required. Der Standard is one of Austria’s best-selling quality newspapers and on 2005-06-18 celebrated its 5000th edition.

Der Standard is published in accordance with the honour code of the Austrian press (which sets rules on matters such as a transparent division between news and comment and the right to privacy). The paper’s general editorial stance could be described as socially liberal and most of its regular columnists also tend to this position, although guest writers come from a wide variety of political positions. As a participant in Project Syndicate Der Standard also regularly publishes commentary from individuals with an international reputation, whose work has world-wide distribution as part of this project.

Der Standard is published by Standard Verlagsgesellschaft m. b. H. Süddeutsche Verlag has 49% of the shares in this company and Oskar Bronner owns the remaining 51%. Süddeutsche Verlag bought into the company in December 1998; previously, between 1988 and April 1995, Axel Springer Verlag had owned 50% of the shares.

According to the 2004 Austrian Media Analysis Der Standard has 366,000 readers in Austria, which corresponds to a 5.4% share of all readers. With a share of 19.4%, Der Standard is the most widely read newspaper among people with college or university education. A full online edition (Der Standard digital) is available as an e-paper on a subscription-basis.

Der Standard has run its own web portal – derstandard.at – since February 1995 and claims this was the first appearance of a German-language newspaper on the web. In March 2004, according to Die Österreichische Webanalyse [1], derstandard.at had a readership of 725,000 users and is consequently one of the largest and most wide-ranging web portals in Austria. Articles published online can be commented on by registered users. The portal diestandard.at publishes articles on women’s issues and feminism.

Sources

This article is largely a translation of the corresponding German Wikipedia article as of 2005-08-23.

This text comes from Wikipedia. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. For a complete list of contributors for this article, visit the corresponding history entry on Wikipedia.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress